It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Newbie needs some advice and tips for my new workout "plan".

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
cricketchicket
(female)

cricketchicket HB User
Cool Newbie needs some advice and tips for my new workout "plan".

Hello all...

I recently started to get back into shape and was wondering if you could "critique" my new plan. I used to run competitively (long distance) when I was much (MUCH) younger (i.e. 13 years ago) and have really gotten out of the loop over the past number of years. I have a pretty active lifestyle, although lately it has been suffering as I have not been working as much. I am really looking to tone up my upper and lower body. I would really love to have some great looking muscles up top and some trimmer legs! In any case, I eat pretty well... I avoid wheat/gluten and dairy for allergy reasons, but have only really recently cut out the dairy so still working on that one. I mostly eat...steamed veggies/salads with meat of some type, brown rice pasta (if i do eat pasta), brown rice/white rice very occasionally (i.e. once a week/2 weeks) rice cereals with no sugar, and milk substitutes like almond "milk". I also tend to snack on fruit, almonds...plain corn chips and potato chips very rarely. I eat out about once a week...usually Indian food and will stick to rice and veggie dishes with no ghee/butter and meats with gluten free sauces. I'll usually drink a few glasses of wine of the weekend.

My weight is currently about 120-125 lbs and I am about 5'5 and a half.

I received my membership about two weeks ago and have been at the gym about 4-5 times a week over the past two weeks. I usually do cardio for 30-45 mins (usually really brisk walking at 4.0 speed with an incline of 6-7), and then weights for about 30 mins (upper body, stomach, lower back and upper legs). I really enjoy walking at this fast pace, but funny enough, I don't enjoy the running like I used to when I was much younger. Because of this, I think I will stick with the powerwalking like I have been until I build up enough stamina to run like I used to.

What do you all think about this new "plan". I really want to know if I will truly see results with this plan, and what type of results will I see...and when? Also, how many days off should I take in between working out. I'm really starting to enjoy my time at the gym more and more and would probably find a reason to go everyday if I could. Any tips or insights?

Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Newbie needs some advice and tips for my new workout "plan".

You seem to have too little protein. If you're going to be active and want muscle tone you need to get at LEAST .8 grams per pound of bodyweight. To prevent fat gain, the calories added in protein will have to be deducted from somewhere else, so just change up your ratios a bit.
Your workout plan sounds fine, but you might want to swap the order you do weights and cardio in. If you do weights first, you still have glycogen available for energy and have less risk to form. Then as you do your cardio afterward, your body will be able to make use of fat for energy if it needs it (the body cannot use fat for fuel during anaerobic activity). You need at least one day rest from resistance training, but cardio is still acceptable if you're up for it. So I'd aim for 3x a week for weights and 3-5 days of cardio, depending on how you want to do it. Since it's fairly low intensity, you don't have much risk to your muscle mass. Just make sure you eat something as soon as you get home.
I'm not sure if by 'toning' you mean you need to build muscle or if you need to lose some fat, but you will need to adjust calories toward one goal or the other. That will play a big part in how long it will take to see results.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
Jess75
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketchicket
Hello all...

I recently started to get back into shape and was wondering if you could "critique" my new plan. I used to run competitively (long distance) when I was much (MUCH) younger (i.e. 13 years ago) and have really gotten out of the loop over the past number of years. I have a pretty active lifestyle, although lately it has been suffering as I have not been working as much. I am really looking to tone up my upper and lower body. I would really love to have some great looking muscles up top and some trimmer legs! In any case, I eat pretty well... I avoid wheat/gluten and dairy for allergy reasons, but have only really recently cut out the dairy so still working on that one. I mostly eat...steamed veggies/salads with meat of some type, brown rice pasta (if i do eat pasta), brown rice/white rice very occasionally (i.e. once a week/2 weeks) rice cereals with no sugar, and milk substitutes like almond "milk". I also tend to snack on fruit, almonds...plain corn chips and potato chips very rarely. I eat out about once a week...usually Indian food and will stick to rice and veggie dishes with no ghee/butter and meats with gluten free sauces. I'll usually drink a few glasses of wine of the weekend.

My weight is currently about 120-125 lbs and I am about 5'5 and a half.

I received my membership about two weeks ago and have been at the gym about 4-5 times a week over the past two weeks. I usually do cardio for 30-45 mins (usually really brisk walking at 4.0 speed with an incline of 6-7), and then weights for about 30 mins (upper body, stomach, lower back and upper legs). I really enjoy walking at this fast pace, but funny enough, I don't enjoy the running like I used to when I was much younger. Because of this, I think I will stick with the powerwalking like I have been until I build up enough stamina to run like I used to.
What do you all think about this new "plan". I really want to know if I will truly see results with this plan, and what type of results will I see...and when? Also, how many days off should I take in between working out. I'm really starting to enjoy my time at the gym more and more and would probably find a reason to go everyday if I could. Any tips or insights?

Many thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you KNOW that you had a dairy and wheat allergy? Did you go get tested? If you did or didn't, what were your symptoms?
Thank you

Old 06-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Well, 2500 might be a maintenance intake, but that seems a bit high. For your stats there's no way you'd lose weight eating that much. I'd say it's a lot closer to 1700-1800 if you want to lose fat. As a little of the fluff comes off and you tone up the muscles you'll see more definition. Then if you want to build more actual muscle mass you can up your calories a bit, and I'd change up your workout so you can be sure the higher caloric intake will be going for muscle gain rather than fat/storage.
One other thing to note... I don't know what your meal timing looks like, but try to make sure that you're not eating anything carby within 4-5 hours of going to bed. That can increase the likelihood of fat storage from calories that the body can't burn right away and as the metabolism slows for the night, it never gets a chance to use them and storage is the only other option. Just a tweak that may help.

Closed Thread