It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Advice for first 5k race needed..and blisters

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Ding
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User
Advice for first 5k race needed..and blisters

hello, i've put myself in for my first running race, its 5K and its in 10 days. i've been training for it for about 2 months by running gradually increasing distances about 2/3 times a week. (i started off with 1K, then increased it every week. most recently i've been running about 4K at a time).

i wondered if theres anyone here with experience on preparing for races. e.g. how near to the race should I continue training up until? i was thinking that i'll continue running up until maybe the friday (the race is on the sunday), so i'll be rested for the race.

also, i have a problem with blisters on my feet. i keep seeming to find that i could quite happily go on running physically, but i end up having to stop because of the pain in my feet. anyone have any tips on how to avoid them?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
star_shine_2010
Veteran
(female)

star_shine_2010 HB User
Re: Advice for first 5k race needed..and blisters

I used to run cross country. What shoes are you using? I used to get horrible blisters and shin splints until I went to a store called Fleet Feet (In CA)...it was something like that. They watched the way that I walked and jogged and recommended shoes good for me. They were Saucony and cost about $120, however I ran everyday in those shoes for a year with no blisters! I would say you're doing good right now at training. I wouldn't try to increase your distance since the 5k is soon. I would just keep running what you are. When you get into the race, something just pumps through your body and you don't even realize how far you're capable of running. you'll do good, don't fret. Keep hydrated!

Old 06-17-2005, 04:36 AM   #3
Ding
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

thanks for the help, as far as my shoes go i just run in my trusty reebok running shoes. they're usually fine but i may have to consider getting something like you suggested if the blisters dont improve!

Old 06-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
jv109
Inactive
(male)

jv109 HB User

There are plenty of 5K training plans out on the web. Just do a search. I've done a few 5K's myself and have always taken it easy the week leading to the weekend (5K's usually run on weekend). Definitely the day before. Like Star_Shine says, make sure you are in the right running shoes for you! Don't go by price tag or look, go to a real running store (i.e. Fleet Feet) . Which 5K is this? Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Ding
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

Thankyou i'll do that.
its just a local one in my town, they do them every year when its the carnival, sort of a fund raising thing.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It may also be your socks...what kind are you wearing? When I got fitted for my shoes (same way as above) they also told me what socks to wear....thin, not all cotton. Also, there are some anti-blisters products (powders) you can shake into your socks before you put them on. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
jv109
Inactive
(male)

jv109 HB User

Yes, I forgot to mention the socks! Don't wear cotton!! Cotton can be the cause of blisters.

And just to mention. Uh, try and avoid cotton underwear. Cotton and sweat don't mix!

Closed Thread