It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Strained triceps

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
    bcgal00

bcgal00 HB User
    Strained triceps

After lifting hand weights on Sun I was carrying multiple bags and lg dog food bag on Monday but felt only a slight ache in my triceps from exercising on Sun.

However, on Mon night, after sleeping for a few hours I woke with excruciating pain down both arms (triceps). Now a few days later I still have a lot of pain and can't really touch my face or hold anything without quite a lot of pain. I'm trying not to lift anything but is there anything else I could be doing to help this heal? I haven't gone to the doctor b/c I figure she'll just say to not use the arms much and let them heal since it's soft tissue injury, right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
    MaxOT26
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MaxOT26 HB User
    Re: Strained triceps

You have what is called DOMS, or delayed-onset muscle sorness. This is a result of microscopic disruptions of muscle fiber elements and the extra cellular connective tissue. The soreness you feel is your immune systems direct response to this damage. This pain you feel is actually caused by swelling and other processes that your body is undergoing to repair the muscle. Don't worry it is a natural process of lifting weights. You can rotate idprofuen and asprin every 5 hours or so. Also do some light stretching even though it hurts. Sitting in a sauna is also been know to help. There is also a product called Biofreeze that does wonders on aches and pains. In the future make sure you properly warm up any muscle before you begin to work it hard. Also make sure you are staying hydrated that plays a big part in the whole process.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
    FdRc2GrfT
    (female)

FdRc2GrfT HB User
    Re: Strained triceps

Thanks! I'm going through this too right now. Started BODY FOR LIFE this Monday, and did upper body... I still can't put my arms straight! and it's been three days. I am supposed to do Upper body again tomorrow. Should I hold off Nexus? until my arms feel all better?

Also will this soreness go away after a few times working out these muscles?

Closed Thread