It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Diagnosed with something like shin splints...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
    Golden1000
    (male)

Golden1000 HB User
    Question Diagnosed with something like shin splints...

I went to a doctor and he said my bone looks fine in the x-ray. He said that my muscle is tightening up when I run. It's right around the area of the shin. After I am finished running it feels like in that part of my leg like a bruise or just real sore. It helps to ice them, but its always when I sleep and first wake up, they hurt really bad.

Does anybody know what I should do besides stop running. I love to run and I am hard headed. I am curious, should I build up that front part of my muscle around the shin? If so, what is some good exercise equipment to help me do this? Also, does anybody have any ideas about good insoles to help things like this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User
    Re: Diagnosed with something like shin splints...

Don't stop running altogether. The 'shin splint' is actually exactly what your doctor found: weak calf muscles surrounding the shin. When you run, you have to flex your foot with every stride and if you're not accustomed to that movement, that little muscle gets overworked very easily.
    The way to avoid/fix the problem is to work up to running by running in intervals and shorter duration for a while until that muscle is a little more conditioned. If it's very sore already, do some other cardio activity for a few days, then get back to running, but take it easy. Work up to a full running workout. It takes some time. And make sure you have good running shoes with some cushion. Insoles won't make up for bad running shoes, but it might help add some padding and help reduce some of the impact.
    I had very small, weak calves when I started running too and got horrible shin splints for months until I figured out how to get past them. Be patient and consistent and you'll be marathoning in no time.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
    Golden1000
    (male)

Golden1000 HB User
    Question Re: Diagnosed with something like shin splints...

The back part of my calf is real strong. How is a way to build my muscle up around the shin? Is there a link to show me pictures of maybe stretching and how to run?

Should I run on my tippy toes to make that part of my leg stronger?

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
    Willapp
    Veteran
    (male)

Willapp HB User

There are weight exercises for working the front shin muscle (Dorsal Flexion and Intertarsal Inversion). See [url]DELETED[/url] and look at the exercises it gives. Basically you can do two things:

1) Either using a machine, or standing and holding weights, go up onto the tip of your toes and back down again - repeat for 10 - 20 reps.

2) Place a weight disc over your toes, and roll your foot up onto the heel (i.e. lift the weight with your toes).

These will help work your shin muscles.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-12-2006 at 06:48 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites for any reason whether or not you personally benefit

Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
    mod-anon

mod-anon HB User

Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Please do not post commercial websites for any reason whether or not you personally benefit.

Closed Thread