It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Is walking OK?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
bobshotme
(male)

bobshotme HB User
Is walking OK?

I lost alot of weight last year and gained 40 lbs back this year. So i tried doing hard exercise (jogging)but my legs hurt from it. I have enough enery to jog but my right, it think its my fibula and sometimes the cuneiforms in my foot hurt, well i think thats where it is, im not sure if its bone or just something esle but thats the area it hurts. and it goes away after i stop jogging. So i given up on jogging. and i cant do the exercise bike for more then 13 minutes

I was wondering if i could burn enough calories walking arond 3.5 mph for 30-45 minutes 1-2 times a day? I cut back to 1400 calories a day like i did last year, my goal is to come up negative 500-1000 calories a day. Im guessing my body burns around 1800 like the average 18 yr old, so if i can burn off an extra 300 a day that would put me at negative 700 a day. Being about negative 6 lbs a month.

But i was curious if walking for a long time each day would be enough

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Is walking OK?

Walking is good, but higher intensity is better, even if it's only for short durations to start. If you use a little variations, like walking one day or in the morning and slowly building endurance on the bike at noght or on other days, you'll get much better results, as well as increasing your fitness.

You might also try some different shoes. If your feet hurt, it's usually a sign that your shoes are not working for you. Either try a different pair or maybe try a soft insert for the pair you have. If your shoes are causing those problems, over time, even walking may become painful.

Last edited by Naxis; 10-14-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
PHANTASMAGORIA
(male)

PHANTASMAGORIA HB User

When I was jogging I started getting terrible pain in the feet and also terrible shin splints. I tried to get better running shoes and nothing really seemed to help. So I can understand your pain, it can be terrible!

So I was forced to switch to bike riding.

I'm no expert but I think walking is good. It certainly is better then NOTHING. KEEP MOVING, that is the main thing. Always find something to do so that you can keep moving.

I guess you really could lose 40 pounds walking, SURE. But it would just take alot longer then if you were doing something more intense like jogging or fast bike riding.

I wonder, are there any steep hills near you, walking up a steep hill would be really tough!

Where I live it's very flat. I really wish I had some steep hills around me though. That way I could keep going up the steep hills on my bike for extra tough cardio. But what I do is ride in the highest gear to make it as tough as possible. It helps but steep hills would be better!

Have you ever thought of trying bike riding instead of walking? It will be alot less pain then jogging and you can still get an intense workout without the pain of jogging!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
bobshotme
(male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTASMAGORIA
When I was jogging I started getting terrible pain in the feet and also terrible shin splints. I tried to get better running shoes and nothing really seemed to help. So I can understand your pain, it can be terrible!

So I was forced to switch to bike riding.

I'm no expert but I think walking is good. It certainly is better then NOTHING. KEEP MOVING, that is the main thing. Always find something to do so that you can keep moving.

I guess you really could lose 40 pounds walking, SURE. But it would just take alot longer then if you were doing something more intense like jogging or fast bike riding.

I wonder, are there any steep hills near you, walking up a steep hill would be really tough!

Where I live it's very flat. I really wish I had some steep hills around me though. That way I could keep going up the steep hills on my bike for extra tough cardio. But what I do is ride in the highest gear to make it as tough as possible. It helps but steep hills would be better!

Have you ever thought of trying bike riding instead of walking? It will be alot less pain then jogging and you can still get an intense workout without the pain of jogging!
Well i have tried the exercise bike at the gym a few times, the only thing is i can only go about 10-15 minutes at a time but im going really fast, but after that my leg muscle hurts too much. But i can try to build up endurance to that i guess over time. It may take awhile but i can try. I hope now in a few months to get up to 45 minutes a day on it.

thanks you guys for the help

Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
PHANTASMAGORIA
(male)

PHANTASMAGORIA HB User

Hmm, maybe you should try going slow at first. Then when you get to the end of your workout set much higher resistance. That way you can get a better and long workout.

I don't know anyone that goes FULL SPEED for their entire workout. Usually there is a slow warmup, followed by a steady pace for most of the workout, then you get into a speed groove where you ride very hard, and then you slow down for a nice cool down.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Hoochie
(female)

Hoochie HB User

I walk one minute, run one minute for 30 minutes every day. It has now been a little over a month so this week I increased my incline to 2 so that I can push myself but you should try that as I can't jog for 30 minutes either yet!! Take one week at a time and see how you are feeling. Your muscles will be sore as that is a sign of a good workout. I have been feeling terrific even though I havent see alot of weight loss. I think I may be losing inches which works for me!!!! Good luck to you and remember, you can start by walking 30 minutes every day and as it gets easier, add some jogging or increase your speed or your incline. You have lots of options.

Closed Thread