It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Newbie Here looking for a little help...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2001, 05:10 AM   #1
ItsGottaBeNatural

ItsGottaBeNatural HB User
Cool Newbie Here looking for a little help...

Hey all, well I'm new to healthboards.com in general and thought I'd come into this room and see if I can find some help. Okay so.. I am a 21 yr old female, I stand 5'3 and weigh 265lbs. Now you know why I'm here? I'm not just 265lbs of fat, surprisingly I'm very muscular, mainly in my thighs and shoulders. I'm looking to lose weight, I want to get down to 125. I like many have tried Diet pill after diet pill and I've come to see the only real solution is to change your lifestyle. Now this is my daily routine, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's good or not, how to modify it to best benefit me and give me any nutritional advice.I have a "gym set" in my room , I do 4 sets of 10 reps each, at 20lbs on Leg Curls, Shoulder presses,Military Press and a few other arms excercises.. (dont ask me the names!) That generally lasts me 10 minutes of straight workout, I than do 3 sets of 10 reps on my "Stretch & Sculpt" works the abs, and than 30 minutes of walking on my "gazelle" ... so... is what I'm doing right.. or wrong? Main thing is I want to lose weight,tighten and tone, I dont want to bulk up on muscle but want to lose as little muscle as needed, and I'm afraid that using my home gym I'm gaining muscle instead of losing fat. I know this is long and probably will bore a few of you, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks a bunch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2001, 01:09 PM   #2
jrzygrl2273

jrzygrl2273 HB User
I'm no expert, but I am going to try to help you if I can.

I think that you are doing a great job with the weight training. Keep that going, because it's real important.

I also think that you should add cardio along with or alternating with the weights. Any kind of cardio is good as long as it gets your hear rate going. I highly recommend walking or bike riding. Those two are great cardio exercises.

Start out doing as much cardio as you can and work your way up on the time. I would say that 45 minutes to an hour maximum, 3-6 days a week is good.

Cardio is what burns off fat and lean muscle keeps that fat burning 24/7.

As far as food goes, you'll have to experiment. I find that following the food pyramid works for me.

Good luck to you and I hope this helps you in some way!

Old 01-14-2001, 11:12 AM   #3
Little Gibby

Little Gibby HB User
Red face

In my opinion..I think that if you really want to lose weight than cardiovascualr workouts are the way to go. I also think its great what you are doing with the wieght training. but I wouldn't do it that much. If you want to lose weight I would cut down all together on the weight training until you have lost your weight. then I would start again. because you are building your muscles not losing fat. For example: by lifting weights every other day is really what gives you muscle. you lift on monday, and since you dont lift tuesday, the fatty tissues rebulid to form muscles. and by doing it every other day like that you are going to be getting pretty big muscles but not buring the fat. loose the wieght first, and then get in shape til your heart desires. now i am no expert, but that is my advice. good luck!

Old 01-14-2001, 11:20 AM   #4
kynikki

kynikki HB User
Another thing I'd like to add in addition to what the others said is that if you'd like to continue the weight training, you should realize that you'll probably build more muscle and that at some point you may not see the numbers on the scale go down because of that. Don't get discouraged. I know that we're taught to pay attention to that sort of thing, but it is more important to pay attention to the inches that are coming off. Start to measure key areas, and even though you may not see the pounds come off, I bet you will see a difference in the way clothes fit and the inches that are coming off.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:34 AM   #5
pumped

pumped HB User
Cool

Long reply - BUT WORTH IT!!
Here is some really good advise. First off, you are right - it does take a total change of life. Supplements and diet pills are not miracle workers, they just aide you in achieving your goal. If you are going to use diet pills still along with what I'm about to tell you, I find that hydroxycut and xenadrine rfa work very well - they are costly though. first we'll touch on your food consumption. You've got to eat 5 to 6 SMALL meals a day. Make sure each is giving you about 30 grams of protein a day. Cut your Carbohydrates down slowly - you will loose weight/fat by doing this, and then plateau out where you'll need to cut them again. There are people that will argue that carb depleting is bad for you. You are not going to deplete (unless you decide to get into competative BB down the road - in which I might add that it works great for me with no side effects. It's not somethings you do permanently anyway. Keep cutting carbs everytime you plateau - it doesn't take much - a couple hundred grams/day. Keep fat consumption to about 10% of total caloric intake - going over on fat isn't a big problem, just be aware of it. By following this diet you've given your body it's protein for retaining muscle and cut carbs so that your body starts burning it's own fat. You will need to keep a journal - I just use a notebook broken into the 4 catagories of Protein, carbs, fat and calories. Give yourself a splurge day. Keep it the same day every week and enjoy yourself - in moderation - remember what your goals are. Drink a lot of water - at least 1 gallon per day - This is very important! I should probably mention alcohol. If you drink it, it's got a lot of empty calories and will really impede your progress (that's all I'll say there).
Now for the exercising. Work w/ weights 3 days a week (M,W,F is usually the easiest way to keep on track). Do full body workouts concentrating on major muscle groups(legs,chest and back). Your smaller muscle groups will get worked when working these. You can throw in a set for Bi's and Tri's if it makes you feel better though. Keep reps high 12-15 for each set and rest periods low(30 seconds or so) this will combine your weight traing and cardio by elevating your heart rate. If needed take a little bit longer rest between exercises. When your lifting really go for the burn. Last rep is just that - your last rep, not just where you decided to stop that set. Do cardio at least 5 days a week on an empty stomach - this forces your body to burn it's own fat - not the food you just ate. High impact cardio - really get your metabolism going. Oh - DRINK WATER before during and after you workouts!! - Do what you can do - not what some else can do - you're not trying to prove anything - you are achieving YOUR goals. As far as cardio equip.- use something that gets your body moving. Whether that be a step, treadmill, or elliptical trainer. Stationary bikes work primarily your legs - like I said get your body into it.
Make sure your doctor ok's you for this sort of vigorous activity and that you don't have any diet need which would be of danger to your health by eating like I said.
Make it fun and stick with it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you won't be able to tear it down in a day either. - There is an enormous amount of information online and in fitness magazines - make good use of it. Remember though, too many people try to follow the routines of the pros and they don't work. The reason it works for a lot of them is steroids - you will only hurt yourself and/or become frustrated and drop out. If nothing else just read those article to expand your database of exercises and proper form.
Have fun and make a committment to yourself to stick with it - you'll thank yourself.

Old 01-14-2001, 11:54 AM   #6
gainfreak

gainfreak HB User
Hey Pumped, That was some of the best Information that anyone could give!! Anyone reading it will benefit!! The only thing that I do differantly is that I dont do a full body workout 3 times a week. I divide it into sections and I never train a body part more than once a week.(Monday=Chest/shoulders/tri's-Wednesday Back bi's and abs Friday(hell day!!)Legs!! Also I rest more between sets!! Cardio 5 times a week. Beleive me people I tried to skip cardio sessions for years!! Dont!!! I truly beleive that the secret to getting lean is by doing all three(Weighlifting/Diet/cardio) skip one and you will NOT see results!!

[This message has been edited by gainfreak (edited 01-14-2001).]

Old 01-19-2001, 03:46 PM   #7
Kevin15
Inactive

Kevin15 HB User
Hey itsgottabenatural,
In order for those diet pills and stuff works, u MUST MUST MUST exercise your cardiovascular system! Run, bike ride, anything that raises your heart rate, do it Also eat balanced meals, don't eat a lot of sugar, starch, FAT, or carbs...eat healthy, exercise, and i would most likely guarantee you you would reach your goal

Old 01-21-2001, 05:50 AM   #8
pumped

pumped HB User
Cool

I would just like to add some thing as far as the comment by little gibby - she is so far off base that you should totally disregard her post. The only part of it that she was accurate on is that she is not an expert - and that is obvious from her lack of knowledge on the subject.
The fact of the matter is you ARE NOT going to get huge without steroids (especially being a female). Fat can in NO WAY turn into muscle - or vise-a-versa. What muscle you will build will only boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories/fat in whatever you do - including sleeping.
I'll keep this one short - but you DO NEED TO LIFT WEIGHTS!!!
A good source of info for fat burning is the February 2001 issue of Muscular Development. It really has a lot of good info in it

Good Luck

Closed Thread