It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Extreme Fatigue Exercising

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2001, 06:27 AM   #1
BrianC30
Inactive

BrianC30 HB User
Post Extreme Fatigue Exercising

I am 31 y/o male with allergies and sinus problems. I also smoke 1 pack a day. I have had a very sedentary job for the past 5 years and whenever I exercise I become somewhat lightheaded and feel extremely tired. This lasts for about an hr and I have to sit down and rest. I have no heart problems and have had blood tests which are all normal.
Could being out of shape cause this. My doc thinks so but I get worried feeling this and wonder if its something more. He tells me to go light and work my way up but I have lost desire to exercise because of feeling so lousy when I do it. Even if its only 5 minutes I feel this way.
Anyone else ever feel this?

Brian C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2001, 08:25 AM   #2
gainfreak

gainfreak HB User
Hey Brian,

I had the same problem when I first started working out. I would get Lightheaded and nautious. I found out later it was because i was not eating enough food throughout the day and also I was not airobically in shape. What I did was, I stopped weightlifting for a while and I concentrated on doing cardio( i rode the exercise bike for a while) when i started to feel dizzy, I would lower the intensity or I would quit for the day. I found that by doing this for two weeks straight, the dizziness went away and I went back to weightlifting without any problems. I hope this helps

[This message has been edited by gainfreak (edited 01-12-2001).]

Old 01-14-2001, 11:05 AM   #3
Little Gibby

Little Gibby HB User
Angry

STOP SMOKING!!!!!!! that's why you are so out of breath and lightheaded!

Old 01-19-2001, 07:25 PM   #4
mxpxchick178
Inactive

mxpxchick178 HB User
I too think that smoking is the primary cause. When long-term smokers exercise, their lungs are not in good shape, therefore cutting off much of the essential oxygen needed to breathe correctly when working out.

Old 01-24-2001, 08:00 PM   #5
richiei

richiei HB User
Lightbulb

Firstly the smoking...you should at least cut back if you cannot "Kick the Nic". Secondly your diet ...I'll bet it's far from healthy if your that sedentary....you need to detox big time! Fruit & fibre (All Bran) is an easy way to detox also lots & lots of water. Not tea nor coffee but H2O! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif) Your doctor couldn't be more correct if you have not exercised recently you need to break into it ** s l o w l y }. It's very important you warm up with stretching this gets you breathing deeply, the reason your tired is you are not getting enough oxygen. Reduce fat intake and go lean by eating protein rich foods and curb your sugar intake which ultimately makes you feel burnt out also watch out for too many carbohydrates these convert to sugar giving you that high with the envitable sluggishness. This is basic but very relevant to your problem. If it persists after making these alterations in your lifestyle consider you may be suffering from a host of problems. Home in on those allergies... {sinusitis are you lactose intolerant?? } you speak of. Perhaps look at Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or preliminary Diabetes as a possibility , do you have a family history of these or others?

Your doctor doesn't want to alarm you but as a former athlete I can assure smoking robs you of energy and oxygen. You have to want to quit no one can tell you when it's time but you! It is not easy if your truly hooked on cigarettes it can be the hardest thing to do so approach it by asking advice when YOU are ready. Good Luck

Closed Thread