It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Looking for support, advice...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2001, 12:22 AM   #1
J_C

J_C HB User
Question Looking for support, advice...

Hi everyone... I'm new to this board. I'm looking for some support... is this the right place to go?
Anyway, I'm 19, 5'2'', 130 lbs. I've wanted to lose weight ever since I was a freshman in high school, but somehow I've never had the commitment to stick to a diet and exercise program. To be toned and in shape is the one thing I want more than anything else in the world. I feel like my life can't begin until I achieve this. I'm often depressed and withdrawn because I hate the way I am, and I hate how I've basically been a failure at achieving something I want so badly. It seems like everywhere I look, whether it's around campus or on TV, everyone is thin and in shape, and I cringe inwardly whenever I see these people.
Recently, I signed up for a personal trainer at the gym. I vowed to turn my life around. I vowed to work out everyday and watch what I ate. You know... the usual stuff that's so much easier to say than do. Well, after I had a few sessions with my trainer, I went to the gym one morning on my own. It was one of the most humiliating and torturous experiences for me. I felt so self-conscious and awkward and out of place with all these buff people around me. After I got back to my room, I felt more horrible about that experience than good about working out. See, now dragging myself to the gym is a torture for me... it's so emotionally and mentally draining that I don't know if I'll be able to stick with the program. Anyway, right now I'm just feeling really low, like I'm doomed to be like this for the rest of my life.
I know I have to change my attitude and way of thinking, but it's hard. I'm tired of feeling like this. I'm tired of having no self-esteem because of this. Can anyone offer some advice?
Sorry for the rambling; I just really needed to get that out. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2001, 09:51 AM   #2
Xnailtech

Xnailtech HB User
We can all feel your pain! We have all been there. Do you have a friend in school that you could buddy up with and would support you in an exercise plan? You would be surprised at how being responsible for each other will help the willpower. When you don't feel like exercising, your buddy will pull you through and you for him/her! But just get out and walk for 30 min per day and the more you do, the more you will want to do. Willpower comes form doing and nowhere else! And it doesn't matter how fast you walk, it matters how long you can walk. You don't want to slug your way through the walk, but you don't need to be breathless either. Good luck and God Bless you!

Old 02-04-2001, 03:38 AM   #3
becmuss

becmuss HB User
Smile

Hi J_C and well done to you.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself and don't try to do it all at once. I beleive that if you beging with about 45mins of walking a day at least 3-4 days a week, and if you cut your eating portions in half. Drink loads of water (which you get used to after a while) and take some really good multi vitamins, preferrably a liquid one, that is all you need to do for the first couple of months. As you start to shed the weight and gain self confidence you can always take on more excercise. In the meantime walk, walk and walk. Do it with your dog if you've got one, headphones and enjoy the fresh air. Don't try to cut out all the bad foods at once - your energy levels will deplete, just cut down your portions. Snack heaps on fruit and low fat foods in between meals. Also, I know it is easier said than done but try not to too worried about what people think, because at the end of the day no matter who they are or what they look like everybody has some sort of problem which they don't wish to show. You will probably find that the majority of people will be quietly proud of your efforts in trying to loose weight. Also it is more important to live life longer and be healthy and happy than to not change things because of what people may be thinking momentarily. Best of luck to you, I am proud of you already. Excercise helps depression.

Old 02-05-2001, 04:22 AM   #4
gainfreak

gainfreak HB User
Hello J_C!!
You should never feel intimidated to go to the GYM!! There are people there that are of all fitness levels. Everyone goes to a gym for different goals/reasons. When I first started going to the gym, yeah I was a little intimidated. I was 165 lbs at 17 % bodyfat and I am 6'1!! I couldnt even bench press 145lbs which was 20lbs lower than my weight. But you know what ? who cares!! I was self conscious but I kept with it!! And I found that everyone in the gym was helpful and they encouraged me!! I am now 206lbs I let my bodyfat slip(I stopped training for 6 months so I could go to night school!!) but at my peak conditioning, I was at 210 at 6 % bodyfat. I am now back in the gym trying to get back to where I was ( i want to get in shape for the summer!!) I Know that you will obtain your goals!! Just stick with it and let us know how you are doing!!

Closed Thread