It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

My lower back hurts.. any suggestions?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2001, 11:14 AM   #1
Axel

Axel HB User
Unhappy My lower back hurts.. any suggestions?

I am 16/male/5"9/170lbs and I have been working out for quite a while. Only recently I decided to get more serious so I got some weights and a bench for home.

I followed a decent whole body workout I got from a magazine and I've completed the first 4 week stage, but I havn't started the 2nd stage yet.

The main reason is because of my lower back, which I think I must have damaged in some way. If I bend down to pick something up for a few seconds, my lower back will hurt for a while, and I am worried about it. I don't want to continue the program I am on as I could probably cause more damage.

I think that the pain came about due to doing squats, or more specifically, the way I get the barbell on my shoulders. Tricep pushdowns also put a strain on my lower back.

Can you help me? How can I rehabilitate my lower back and strengthen it top prevent future injury?

And also, what should I do about the exercises? They are effective exercises for their purpose, but it seems they have hurt my back.

Thanks for your help.

It would be good to hear from people with similar experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2001, 11:57 AM   #2
Just 2 Built

Just 2 Built HB User
Ok, your form was wrong while working out. Squats was probably the main reason.. How much were you squatting?? A lot of people don't know how to squat properly which leads to injures. If i were you i would see a chiropractor. Don't take this back pain lightly.. Stop working out for now.... The correct way of squatting is for not your knees to go past your toes and you should come parallel to the floor.... ( 90 degrees)..

Old 04-04-2001, 12:15 PM   #3
Axel

Axel HB User
Cheers for that. The first stage of the program involved relatively high reps (10-12) and I was squatting about 57lbs.

Because I do my workout at home, I have to get the barbell on my shoulders which involves dipping my head under the bar whilst sitting of the bench, then standing up, moving away from the bench and doing the squats. I felt quite a lot of strain when doing this, and none whilst doing the squats themselves.

What is a chiropractor by the way? Should I see my local doctor first?

Old 04-04-2001, 03:21 PM   #4
Just 2 Built

Just 2 Built HB User
Chiropractor basically deals with the nevous system. Around your spinal area etc....
Yes see your local doctor first

Old 04-12-2001, 03:02 PM   #5
ikonadm

ikonadm HB User
i know i came in a littel late on this poste.
but if you havent tried this stretch yet i advise you to, it is the best stretch in the world!
lay flat on your back, arms by your sides. role your knees up and over your head then extend your legs straight out and roll back wards trying to touch your toes to the floore behind you. this is a really great excercise for lower back, neck, and legs.
another excerside you might want to try are back-ups, there just like sit-ups but the opposite. you lay on your stomach and lift your back up while keeping your hands together on the small of your back.
also, try sitting with your legs extended. touch your chin to your upper chest as much as you can and breath through your nose. slowly bend forward like your going to touch your toes, but do not take your chin from your chest. this is a great excerside to stretch the muscle that runs down both sides of your spine.

hope this helps!

Closed Thread