It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Creatine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2001, 11:13 AM   #1
    Engel_54

Engel_54 HB User
    Cool Creatine

How Creatine Works
    To understand how creatine works you have to know a little bit of physiology. All energy in the body comes from a source called Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP). All things we regard as energy sources (like glucose) can be regarded as currencies, but before you can spend it you need to exchange it to the accepted currency which is ATP.

When potential energy is created by burning ATP, this leaves waste products, namely one separate phosphate ion and ADP (Adenosine Di-Phosphate). Both are regarded as such and excreted by the body. When the compound creatine monohydrate is introduced into the system it forms creatine phosphate. This new substance has the capability of binding this ion to left-over ADP and regenerate ATP.

New ATP, new energy. This enables faster recovery, longer and better training sessions and this should translate into new muscle growth. This is extremely important in lifting, because muscle growth is mainly an anaerobic occasion. That means you need enough energy to complete your set without resorting to the Krebs-cycle (which enables us to do long, strenuous efforts). This does not go for leg muscles, because they contain larger amounts of oxidative fibers.

Creatine has the ability to absorb water into its target cells. This logically makes the cells bigger, and so your muscles appear bigger, though its not actual growth. Most people will gain up to 2-7lbs of water weight from creatine. It should be taken into consideration that this weight will go away after the cycle is completed and should not be mistaken for fat or muscle gains. Creatine contains 0 calories.

Liquid Creatine explained
    The idea behind liquid creatine was making it more absorbable, but making it liquid makes it easier for it to get into the blood but not into the muscle. But the original idealist didn’t take in to account that once in a solution, starts to come apart and becomes the waste product creatinine. In the body, as with any waste product, creatinine is transported not to the muscle but to the blatter. The longer the creatine is dissolved the less stable it becomes. Most liquid products that had been on the shelf for a while were tested to contain less than 15 percent of the original creatine. That's the highest one, most tested lower than that. So you pay for 100 grams of creatine, you get less than 15.

Most efficient type
    Since at this time powdered creatine is the most effective form I would recommend using ‘micronized creatine’. Micronized creatine is not in crystal form but instead in a very finely milled powder that increases its absorption rate and after broken down is presumably easier on the kidneys. SKU, which is the worlds leading creatine research and production company manufactures a creatine named, creapure, that is one of the purest forms you can get creatine in and companies like MetRx and Prolab carry it.

How to use creatine
    This question is more controversial seeing as how different people use it in very different ways; some cycle, some dont, some load it ect... creatine is pretty flexible in that way contrary to what some rumors have said about safety and the kidneys, there have been tests showing that after 5 years of use on human and 10years simulated on rats there is no difference in kidney function and no signs of any kind of organ damage.

Most companies say the recommended way to use creatine would be to ‘load’ which helps saturate the muscle tissue faster with 10g for 5 days after that degrading to 5g for the rest of your cycle which should last 6-8 weeks.

But a experienced bodybuilder or heavier individual may see better/faster results by loading with up to 20-25g a day and cycling with 10g after that.

Although it's safe to use it continually for years, you should cycle. Receptors tend to downgrade and become less effective with time. Giving them a rest makes sense, to give the receptors a chance to upgrade again.

Side effects
    None that can't be prevented or helped. The most common is dehydration. More water-absorption naturally means you need to be drinking more, especially during training. Another little side-effect that may be present at the onset is diarrhea. The excess creatine that you don't absorb may drag more water into your stool than you'd prefer, which happens more commonly if you happen to be using more than 10 grams in a maintenance phase. And the last side-effect that is associated with creatine is having to urinate a lot. The problem goes away with time, and other than two or three more visits to the restroom, it won't inconvenience you.

------------------
    -=**EngeL**=-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
    Lily Blue

Lily Blue HB User
    Very good and very informative. I did in fact purchase the micronized powder. I felt like I needed to quit spending $50-$69 for liquid that may be flavored creatinine. I did well with the powder in the past (except for the fun intestinal stuff). I applaud you for turning me around.

Closed Thread