It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Upper Body Improvements

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2002, 04:00 PM   #1
adam17

adam17 HB User
Post Upper Body Improvements

im 6'1 175 and 17 years old

I was wondering if this routine will be useful in making big improvements in my arms, chest, and shoulders.

Monday and Thursday:
Biceps and Shoulders 3 different exercises 3 sets for both

Tuesday and Friday:
Chest and Triceps 3 different exercises 3 sets for both
-------------------------------------------------------
i was also wondering how much weight i should start off benching for a kid my size...and how quickly does it take before i can increase the weight

ps: the most weight i ever benched was 180 pounds but that was like 2 years ago and i have been lifting on and on since then...it seems like lifting half that weight is slightly difficult for me now, is that normal?
-------------------------------------------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2002, 11:43 AM   #2
adam17

adam17 HB User
anybody?

Old 03-26-2002, 08:11 AM   #3
Chezz
(male)

Chezz HB User
I hope for your sake, you are doing legs too. Don't neglect them even though they are lower body. And don't you do anything for your back too?

Instead of doing 3 exercises for each body part, do only 2. Nine sets per body part in each workout is too much for a beginner/novice especially if you are doing each body part twice a week. You'll burn out faster by trying to accomplish too much in the beginning.

For Biceps and Triceps, instead of doing 3 sets, do only 2. Smaller muscles respond better to less work as long as the intensity is there.

Start with a weight that you can do each set comfortably for 12 repetitions. When you have done that, add weight and keep trying to do 12 repetitions for all sets. For smaller muscles such as Biceps and Triceps, add 5 LB. For larger muscles such as Chest, Shoulders and Back, add 10 LB. For Legs, add 20 LB. When you start to get into heavier weights, it will be difficult to do 12 repetitions. So, instead, start out with 8 reps, then do 9 the next workout and so on until you get to 12.

It's not uncommon to lose strength if you are not constantly making your muscles grow when you having been lifting on and off as you said.

The one thing I noticed about your routine is, on Tuesday and Friday you are not getting any rest in between workouts. When you lift on Monday you have had 2 days rest and Thursday you have had 1 days rest. I would not be surprised if you are struggling a little with Chest/Triceps since those muscles don't have a chance to recuperate enough. Rest in between workouts is so important and any knowledgeable lifter will tell you that is when the muscle grows.

If you can work out every other day, and that includes one day on the weekend, here's what I would suggest, but you have to do 3 body parts per workout.

Monday - Chest and Back: 2 exercises each for 3 sets. Triceps: 2 exercises for 2 sets. Total Sets: 16.

Wednesday - Legs and Shoulders: 2 exercises each for 3 sets. Biceps: 2 exercises for 2 sets. Total Sets: 16.

Keep doing this every other day.

If you want to do only 2 body parts per workout, try this instead.

Monday - Chest: 3 exercises for 3 sets. Triceps: 3 exercises for 2 sets. Total Sets: 15.

Wednesday - Back: 3 exercises for 3 sets. Biceps: 3 exercises for 2 sets. Total Sets: 15.

Friday - Legs: 3 exercises for 3 sets. Shoulders: 3 exercises for 3 sets. Total Sets: 16.

This workout is done 3 days a week on the above days, or you can do it Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (or Sunday). Remember, it's not quantity, but quality that reaps benefits.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:15 AM   #4
Chezz
(male)

Chezz HB User
Correction: The Total Sets for Legs and Shoulders in the 2nd workout is 18 and not 16.

Old 03-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #5
adam17

adam17 HB User
thank you very much for all the time you spent replying...it was very helpful

do you think i could possibly do it like this because my legs get plenty of work because i do about 30 minutes of jogging a day and about 5-6 hours of basketball a week?

Monday-Biceps and Shoulders
Wednesday-Triceps and Chest
Friday-Biceps and Shoulders

and then the week after:

Monday-Triceps and Chest
Wednesday-Biceps and Shoulders
Friday-Triceps and Chest

and should I throw in abs on tuesdays and thursdays?

Old 03-26-2002, 02:21 PM   #6
adam17

adam17 HB User
ps: i dont what exercises i can do for my back with the equipment i have at home

Which is:
Bench with plenty of weight and leg extension
2 30lb dumbells
Curling Bar

Old 03-26-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
spl_373

spl_373 HB User
Basketball and jogging aren't weightlifting, sill need weight training to put on mass on your legs.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:28 PM   #8
adam17

adam17 HB User
i dont wanna put mass on my legs they are already big and strong

Old 03-27-2002, 11:54 AM   #9
Chezz
(male)

Chezz HB User
I agree with the above post; even though your legs may be developed where you don't think you need to work them, you still should. There's a difference between weight training strength and being toned from constant running. What I would do is work them less than the rest of your body. Try 1 exercise (12 reps) for 3 sets, twice a week. Squats or Leg Presses should work.

Do Abs on the days you workout. Remember to rest in between workouts!

For Back, some exercises you can do are Chin Ups, Pull Ups, Bent Over Rows, Lat Pulldowns (Wide or Close Grip), Seated Rows, One Arm Dumbell Rows, just to name a few. After Legs, your Back muscles are the 2nd largest and shouldn't be ignored.

Closed Thread