It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Mass, Mass, Mass

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
chuly740

chuly740 HB User
Exclamation Mass, Mass, Mass

I am a frequent weight lifter, 3-4 times a week. I have been lifting for sometime now but I can never put on weight. I am taking creatine again for the 3rd time but I don't know if it is going to give me the lbs. I want. I am 6'1" about 165 and I want to add about 20lbs. I know its going to take months to add these but if anyone has a good method of lifting and dieting to help me add these lbs. let me know I would greatly appreciate it.
Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Plateaus are a pain. As I am sure you have heard before, you probably just need to shock your system. Try new exercises, do super-sets, or super-slow reps, or drop sets. There are literaly dozens of things you can do to change your routine. It can be kind of hard to pull yourself off your normal regimen for a week or two, but give it a try. Do something different for 1 week and see if you made any improvements.

Naxis

Old 03-26-2002, 12:51 PM   #3
paper clip

paper clip HB User
I would focus on compound movements such as bench, squats, deads and cleans. These movements tend to add overall body thickness.

Old 03-26-2002, 02:30 PM   #4
spl_373

spl_373 HB User
10 months ago I was in the same boat your in..exactly...6'1 160 pounds. And felt like i couldnt gain any weight. I thought I ate lots but I realised that when I really concentrated on eating lots of good...high protein foods I started to gain. Sometimes 10 pounds a month. Now I'm 200 pounds. I've been eating 2 or 3 eggs every day, taking tuna sandwiches to work, eating chicken breast for lunch, and steak and potatoes 4 or 5 nights a week. Also I've been downing a protein drink imediatley following my workouts and before I go to bed at night. Also concentrate on lifting heavy for low reps, and getting plenty of rest.

Old 03-28-2002, 04:28 AM   #5
kuzanagi

kuzanagi HB User
spl_373 is right. Diet is the key for you. If you want to get big, you need to eat big. In six months I've put on 21 pounds of mass, whilst reducing my overall bodyfat percentage.

I train 5 times a week, and eat plenty of protein and complex carbs, and drink 2 - 4 litres of water per day.

Old 04-06-2002, 05:33 PM   #6
Jeff32

Jeff32 HB User
Some guys can eat what they want, put in a few workouts a week, miss a couple of workouts a week even, and still get a bit bigger.
But some have to work really hard and maintain a constant vigil to see results.
The key if you are the second group is to make sure you are covering all bases and not being slack in any area. Sleep,good food, and consistency are the key.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 04-07-2002).]

Old 04-07-2002, 03:02 AM   #7
Jeff32

Jeff32 HB User
Would 'moderator three' fill me in on what happenned there thanks?

Jeff

Old 04-10-2002, 01:51 PM   #8
HTR2001SS

HTR2001SS HB User
Have you ever tried a HIT type of Mass routine? Basically drop back to about 2 days per week of cardio, focus your lifting on the compund movements as suggested. What you need to do though is to work less frequesntly but with more intesity using fewer set/reps and increased weight while maintaining proper form. Each seesion you should strive to add either more weight or more reps. Quantity is not the key, a short duration, high intesnisty weight training session with LOTS of good rest in between can work.

I was doing a split routine and found myslef getting smaller and overtraining, I went on a HIT program and only lifted 2 days a week, and did cardio only twice a week and I exploded in about 3 months. It will work.

If you do try this, because of the intensity, I'd also suggest that you take a week off about every two to three months, the extra time off can really allow you to fully recover. (Most HIT programs revolve around intensity cycling and you will welcome that week off if you are doing it right).

Do some searches for HIT and Intensity Cycling and you will see some good sample HIT workouts and philosphies...

Oh yeah, and EAT, EAT EAT - but eat clean...

Stay with it and Good Luck!

Closed Thread