It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

muscle weight gain?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2002, 07:41 AM   #1
ILoveRich

ILoveRich HB User
Question muscle weight gain?

A couple of weeks ago, my weight was 123lbs although now its 132lbs and I do not know what happened. I have changed my diet also, I am taking in more protein because for the longest time I was eating hardly any of it and had a test done and it was low
Also, I workout 5 days a week for 60 mins doing high impact aerobics. I recently started the high impact workout, before was doing low impact. What has caused this weight gain? Also, my period starts in a week (my breasts are so sore).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2002, 08:22 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Stop looking at the scale. If you started taking in more protein and getting on a high impact routine, you are very probably building muscle. Muscle is heavier (more dense) than fat and will show up as the dreaded weight on the scale, when in fact, it is lean mass that is helping to burn the fat in your body. It is possible that you are also retaining water, so that will pass. Use the mirror, measuring tape or measure body fat, but don't stress yourself out with concern about weight. When you get more fit, weight is less important that % body fat vs. muscle mass. (at least, it ought to be.)

Old 04-12-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
Legal Lady 5314

Legal Lady 5314 HB User
Yes, I completely agree with Naxis. I used to be totally consumed with the number on the scale. It would totally determine my mood for the day every day. If the scale was up that morning, my day would be ruined and vice versa. I just recently started doing it right. I'm eating better, more healthier and I joined a local fitness place where I live and I go to a "Killer Butt & Thighs" class every Monday and Wednesday night and immediately following that I go to a water aerobics class which loosens up my muscles after the first class. I absolutely love it! I have been going now for a little over a month. I have been wanting so long to do something like this with a big group of people.

So, anyway, just like Naxis said, stop depending on that scale. It is really your enemy when you're buiding muscle because you WILL gain weight. Just pay close attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit and use a measuring tape. I am already feeling tighter everywhere. Really, working out on a regular basis really works and is great. It's even addicting after a while. And I just started Yoga and that makes you just feel so wonderful. Okay, this is long enough. Hope this helped!

Old 04-12-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
kuso

kuso HB User
well, you may have gained some muscle, but i would suspect fat as well. 9lbs of lean mass in two weeks is very very very odd unless one is on roids. i'm not suggesting that you are, but that's pretty much the case.

Closed Thread