It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

cancer survivor needs workout advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2002, 03:48 PM   #1
annec

annec HB User
Smile cancer survivor needs workout advice

two years ago I found out I had ovarian cancer and had a hystorectomy leading to "surgical menopause" and went thru chemo. While on chemo I gained 30 pounds (had to take some kind of steroid to help with chemo side-effects) and I am anxious to get this extra weight off. I have a "vectra c-1 home gym collecting dust and want to put it to good use now. I'm not interested in diet pills...want to do this the healthy way. I've started working out doing 3 sets of 12 reps resting a min. between each set. My problem is It's hard to find 45-60 mins to do all the routines and am wondering if its ok to work 15-20 min. 6 days a week instead of trying to squeeze it all in in 2 or 3 days a week. I also walk 1 or 2 miles a day (treadmill or outside) depending on how much time I have. We have a home-based business and a disabled child which is why my exercise time is limited. I want to get the most out of the time I have to work on it each day. I'm cancer-free now and want to give my body the best chance of staying that way. I'm also working on eating better-no fad diets, just common sense stuff. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
paper clip

paper clip HB User
Make sure your oncologist gives you the clearance to do whatever exercises you are wanting to do. Walking is great for weight loss if you keep doing it. Just a suggestion, mix up your workouts and walking for max efficiency. This way you could be walking three days a week and working out three. Alternate days. Check out body for life program as a starter. Supplement with unsweetened green tea two or three times a day to boost your metabolism. This is not really a supplement, as it is more of a food. However, it is useful in weight loss as well as beneficial for health and disease prevention. Follow the advice of others here for tips on proper eating. My personal advice for weight loss is to imagine a picture of a dinner plate in your mind: divide the plate into four sections like a pie. Put fruit in one section. Put meat in one section and put veggies in one section. Put starchy carbs in one section. Eat that one plate and that's it for that meal. This is nothing but portion control. Eat low carb snacks in between meals. drink plenty of pure water each day. The best way to lose weight is to burn up more calories than you take in. So you have to either eat less, or increase your metabolism. That's where using weights will come in handy. More muscle means more calories burned while you sleep and rest. You will not turn into a bodybuilder or get muscle bound no matter how hard you work out. Toning muscles will do wonders in my opinion. If all else fails or if you hate to work out, then do portion control and keep walking.

Closed Thread