It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Motivation?!?!?!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2002, 06:41 PM   #1
serindipity99

serindipity99 HB User
Unhappy Motivation?!?!?!

Hi, I really want to exercise and be fit, but I have like NO energy or motivation...what gets you guys out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
ugotme

ugotme HB User
I'm driven by the fact that I know I can accomplish anything I want to. Right now I want to look good, be strong, and feel healthy..... I've been to that place in the mind where you keep saying to yourself, "I'll start running tomorrow," or "Tonite is the last night I'm going to eat like a pig," or "I'll eventually go to the gym," and you know what..those things you say to yourself are BS. You want to do something good for yourself? Then stop talking, start doing. What motivates me is that after I put in a good workout I feel a great sense of accomplishment. After I make healthy choices concerning food, I feel disciplined. I feel above the par.

If you want motivation to be healthy than you have to think positive, to have hope, and to have goals. When there are days or times when you slack off you have to get right back up again. Pretty soon making healthy choices will become habit and laziness will be taboo.

As with everything in life, being healthy and fit is a mental game. Tell your body to do something and it will do it. Tell your body it can't and well, it simply won't.

Old 05-09-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
weera

weera HB User
One way to get the energy and fitness level you want is to exercise. It always helped me to work out with a friend, but it helps if they are motivated to workout so that they can motivate you! I know the first week and half is difficult but once you get past that it gets a lot easier to stay with! You also made a step forward by trying to get some help here!! Just get moving!!! Good luck!

Old 05-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
Magpiezoe
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Cool

I tried making excuses to exercise like "I'm doing this for my husband," which didn't work for me. It may work for someone else. Then I tried changing my attitude toward exercising, which works really well for me. Instead of looking at exercise as a thing I need to do, I look at it as playtime or my time to have fun. My motivations are my bout with high cholesterol, (The doctor told me I was 1 point away from medicine.) my family's bad medical history, and I don't want my son to be stronger than me until he gets to be a teenager...also, I want to be in better health than my husband. You really need to try out different kinds of exercise and find 2-3 different exercise methods you like, so you can vary your routine. Try out different cheap exercise videos or different exercise equipment. You can even plan a special exercise reward. (Ex: If I do 40 min. on that bike, I'll treat myself to a nice relaxing bubble bath with fizz balls in the water to simulate a spa...otherwise I just get a regular shower.)

------------------
Magpie

Old 05-10-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Magpiezoe
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Cool

I tried making excuses to exercise like "I'm doing this for my husband," which didn't work for me. It may work for someone else. Then I tried changing my attitude toward exercising, which works really well for me. Instead of looking at exercise as a thing I need to do, I look at it as playtime or my time to have fun. My motivations are my bout with high cholesterol, (The doctor told me I was 1 point away from medicine.) my family's bad medical history, and I don't want my son to be stronger than me until he gets to be a teenager...also, I want to be in better health than my husband. You really need to try out different kinds of exercise and find 2-3 different exercise methods you like, so you can vary your routine. Try out different cheap exercise videos or different exercise equipment. You can even plan a special exercise reward. (Ex: If I do 40 min. on that bike, I'll treat myself to a nice relaxing bubble bath with fizz balls in the water to simulate a spa...otherwise I just get a regular shower.) You can even use a novel or movie as a reward. (Remember, you're not allowed to read the novel unless you accomplish what you set out to do.) Just be sure you set small goals, so you can take things step by step. By-the-way...I am also motivated by the way my body looks and I love it.

------------------
Magpie

Old 05-10-2002, 04:06 PM   #6
hardcoredummy
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User
Do what's enjoyable for you and you won't think of it as a chore, but as leisure. I sat infront of the computer playing Everquest for almost 6 months straight, and went a little flabby. Just decided one day enough was enough, and started hitting the weights, something i've always enjoyed. Then i needed to do some cardio, and just couldn't stand running in one place on the treadmill, and needed to find some other activity that would increase my heart-rate, so i started taking martial arts after a 5 year hiatus.

So at least 5 days a week, i hit the weights for 1-2 hrs, and do various martial arts for 2-4 hours. I would actually do more weights, but i need time for my body to heal... and i would do more martial arts, but i find too much (and especially after such a long absence) i get injured too often. So i just splurged on my credit card yesterday and picked up a new pair of inline skates. I'm not a very good skater, but i already found some instructors in my local area to teach me.

So just find smoething you enjoy doing, and you'll naturally want to do it more often. The gym isn't for everybody. I love the weights, but the thought of just riding a stationary bike or running on a treadmill just bores me to death... so i find other alternatives. Some suggestion, how about riding bikes? Either by yourself or with your significant others. This is particularly fun if you can find a group of cyclists to ride with.

[This message has been edited by hardcoredummy (edited 05-10-2002).]

Old 05-10-2002, 10:37 PM   #7
gwle

gwle HB User
I have to totally agree with all the posters. They're all right. Remember you gotta make fitness and nutrition a lifestyle and you gotta dor it for yourself most importantly. Trust me, once you start seeing your body change and get to the where u want to be, you wont want to quit exercsising. Its addictive, most of us are!

Old 05-11-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
Hitmen
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User
I lift weights at he (dnt really ahve the time or money for a gym right now) and I have a poster up of Triple H (a wrestler) and for those of you tat know him know te guy is pretty well built. So I like to look at that poster as motivation.

The guy who does ody by Jake did the same thing when he was younger He states in his book that he used to be a little flabby teenager but would go lift weights in his basement and look at this poster of a bodybuilder and use it as motivation.

I say use whatever works! good luck

Closed Thread