It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

New member with some questions.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
Ucypher

Ucypher HB User
Question New member with some questions.

First off, let me say goodmorning to all the members of this board and commend you for a job well done. I have seen a lot of web sites over the past few weeks and I have to admit this is by far one of the most informative I have yet to see and not to mention the amount of member imput. I was impressed to see how much all the members are eager to help out everyone else.
With that said, I'll tell you a little about me. I'm a 32 year old male I'm 5'9" 160lbs. I live in eastern Nort Carolina. I have recently started training at the local gym. I realize that for my age and height my weight is not bad but I need to shift my weight around. I am carrying my weight mostly in my mid section. As an average I am proportioned pretty well but would like to tone up some and begin to work on building lean muscle mass while trimming away the excess fat ratio my body has.
I have been on a pretty good diet of low calorie and low saturated fats. I have cut out the junk food and the sweets, also I have gotten completely off of the fast food as well as the evil (CAFFINE). I have lost about 5 pound in the past 8 days but I have always been able to drop about 10 lbs. in a week when I first start to cut back. I have also started weight training with a combination of cardio. I am training 5 days a week using my cardio as my warm up and cool down parts of my workout. I normally keep it to the hour that I take for lunch. Weight training has always been an intrest of mine but have never really been able to get involved into it. It was always easier to sit on the couch. I am unsure of what ways I should be heading. Can anyone help me out with a detailed diet and training schedule. I have seen so many but I am looking for something in lamens terms that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. Also I have been looking for a good software to help track my gains and losses as I progress along.
Any imput from any of the member will be greatly appreciated. And I'm sorry for being so long winded I'll try to keep my future post to shorter breath. If there is anyone close to my location and would like to talk please feel free to email me back.

Thanks
Ucy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Welcome to the fold!
If I understand correctly, you goals at this point are just to get more generally fit. Drop some fat and add some muscle tone. Your revamped diet should go a long way in helping you reach that goal. Are you currently or planning to lift weights? Are you doing any kind of cardio activity? How much time are you planning to invest? Do you have access to a gym or are you doing this at home?
Here is a very basic, simple "starter" plan, based on the assumption that you do not currently have a routine and are just starting out:
Muscle: Muscle mass increases metabolism which causes more calories to be burned by the body at any given time. Some kind of resistance training will be very beneficial. Whether you want to lift weights, use resistance bands or stick to pushups/pullups and such is personal choice. In the beginning, conditioning is important. A full body workout 2 to 4 times a week will start to get the muscles in shape. High intensity is not as important as good form at this point, so a medium weight is sufficient. Do some online searches for sites that have pictures, diagrams and video clips on how to properly do each exercise. There are a lot of books that are extremely helpful, also.
Cardio: Cardio activity is anything that keeps heartrate up to at least 60% of theoretical maximum for 20 minutes or more. It is good for your heart, lung function, circulation, endurance and even enhances mood. Running, biking, eliptical machines, jump rope, rowers, aerobics, tae-bo all count. When doing cardio, it is near the 20 minute mark that your body kicks over from using glucose (sugar stored in the body) to fat as a fuel source. For this reason, it is recommended to do cardio in the morning before breakfast, since you have not taken in anything that your body can use, so it uses fat more quickly than it might later in the day. If cardio is tough for you, start at 20 min and work your way up the clock. If it's not start at 30 or 40, and try for 3 to 5 days a week.
Diet: The "make or break" of fitness. You are definitely on the right track. Junk food is evil! Just the removal of soda and fast food alone should cause a significant difference. Make sure you are getting green veggies and enough protein. (Protein is very important, but I won't go into too much detail, since there are a million and nine other posts on protein intake that throughly cover all ends of that argument). And POUND THAT WATER. At *LEAST* eight 8 oz glasses a day. I try to go for no less than 120 oz. a day. It will flush your system, improve kidney function, help satiate the appetite and drop water retention. Hydration is your friend.
That's about all I have on the basics... anyone else have anyhting to add?

Old 05-13-2002, 10:38 AM   #3
Ucypher

Ucypher HB User
Thanks Naxis,
Currently I am training 5 days a week mon-fri and off on the weekends. I start with about a 15 min. high impact run to get me going and streatching good. My diet is about 100 oz of water a day. I try to do a cereal bar or yogurt for breakfast I try to get my carbs in the morning and maybe fruit or a salad for lunch then lighten up in the evening and go with my steamed vegetables and meats at night but light amounts. I eat after my workouts at lunch.

I am a member of a gym and they have a very good selection of equipment as well as a pool. I need help on planning my workout. How should I break my exercises down? Example ( Back and legs)on monday (shoulder and biceps)on tues. Im lost when it comes to that as far as how many reps and which muscle groups to pair off together. I train abs every day because it helps to keep me loose it seems and actually feels good.

Closed Thread