It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Is this a good workout for me?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Question Is this a good workout for me?

Hello everyone. I need to lose a good 40 pounds. And I was wanting some opinions on my exercises. Would jogging on my treadmill for 20 minutes then doing like 10-15 minutes on my gazelle freestyle right after that be good? I would also like to know some good exercises to tone up with. I'm going to get me some 10 pound weighs to work with. I would just like to know some exercises I could do that would be just as good as if I had like a weight machine or something. I usually exercise 5-6 days a week.

Thanks everyone!
MikaelasMommy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2002, 12:09 AM   #2
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Question

Anyone?

Old 05-12-2002, 12:25 AM   #3
hardcoredummy
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User
Ever tried Tae Bo? That's a good cardio burner, and will tone you up. If you want to check it out, go to your local Block Buster and see if they carry it... then try it for a few days. If you like it, pick up a copy for yourself (i wouldl recommend a DVD copy if you have a DVD player... tthe amount of replay you'll be doing might shorten the life of a tape).

Old 05-12-2002, 09:10 AM   #4
gwle

gwle HB User
How about doing 30-40 minutes on one cardio machine? I find it kind of funny to see people at the gym jump from one cardio machine to another. They all pretty much do the same, burn calories. As long as you are burning calories, that's all that matters. 5-10lbs weights are fine. All you have to do now is fine an experience and well informed trainer to show you what exercises to perform. hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:21 AM   #5
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Smile

Thanks for the replys. I've tried taebo. And I did like it. But I just didn't like having to follow a tape every day. I just was wanting to switch up and do different things. I've heard that you don't need to stick with the same routine. Not only are you going to get bored with it, but your body will as well. I love to jog and I have my freestyle machine so I was just wanting to maybe switch it up a little.

Thanks,
MikaelasMommy

Old 05-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #6
hardcoredummy
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User
Yeah, dont' listen to gwle... he seems to be full of false information. You do want to use different machines, not only for the variety, but some target different muscle groups. I'm not too familiar with what the gazelle freestyle is, but as long as you're not feeling pain or getting injured by it, then it probably is a good exercise.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #7
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
The gazelle freestyle is like a glider machine. It gives a total body workout. I think I'm just going to switch back and forth and use my weights and see what happens. Hopefully a bunch of weightloss and inches! Thanks for all of the replys. And more are welcomed. I would love to hear more suggestions or opinions.

Thanks!
MikaelasMommy

Old 05-13-2002, 09:18 AM   #8
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
kids, kids... gwle: hardcore does know what he's talking about, but you are both right. While 30 to 40 minutes on one machine is perfectly fine (I do it all the time, and then some) splitting it up is also beneficial. It works different muscles from different angles and usually changes the resistance/intensity level also. You body does adapt to strain that you put on it if it stays constant, so changing your routine is a good way to keep it working at peak levels. HOWEVER... if you are particularly fond of just one cardio exercise, it's infinitely better than doing none at all, so stick to it. It will still get your heart rate up and it will still burn calories and fat.

Old 05-13-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
hardcoredummy
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User
Quote:
I woudlnt listen to hardcoredummy. HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. I mean shoot, he's nickname even implies it. Dummy is, dummy does...
Awww, you've resulted to name calling... now how should i respond? By making funny faces? LOLOL

Old 05-13-2002, 08:45 PM   #10
ScottGee

ScottGee HB User
Hi MikaelasMommy,

Congratulations on your efforts. How long have you been working out. Have you ever tried exercises on an exercise ball. There are loads of "resistance" exercises that you can perform on the ball itself AND with your weights. Believe it or not, you will get greater, more lasting results by cutting your cardio time and doing more progressive resistance (weight training). All of the cardio in the world will not change your metabolism. Right now , sort of like a thermostat, your body wants to be a certain size/weight. However, by lifting weights and creating more lean muscle on your body, you can effectively "change your metabolism" thus adjusting the thermostat and giving your body a new level to remain atwhich to remain.

Sorry if this is confusing, but this information has been proven numerous times and the test groups that had resistanc training as their primary form of exercise usually keeps the weight off longer.

aHope this helps

Scott Gee

Old 05-14-2002, 05:46 AM   #11
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Thanks for the information Scott. I knew that weight training was the best thing for building muscle which burns more calories. But I've never had access to a weight machine so I was just going to try and use some weights and do some exercises myself. I live in a very small town so I'm limited on what I can do around here. I've never used an exercise ball, but my sister in law has one and says they're good to use. I think I'm just going to stick with jogging/walking on my treadmill and my gazelle. And use my weights. I think that will definately get me some results.

Thanks again,
MikaelasMommy

Old 05-14-2002, 05:50 AM   #12
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Sorry, but I forgot to mention how long I've been working out. I was never a big person. I'm only 5 ft. I started having a weight problem after my third child. I guess I really started the weight loss journey back in March of '99. So it's been a while. I lost most of my weight, but end up putting some of it back on. It's so frustrating, but I'm determined to take it off this time and keep it off.

Thanks,
MikaelasMommy

Closed Thread