It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

I need help with my fitness plan?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2002, 09:48 PM   #1
Knightfall

Knightfall HB User
Arrow I need help with my fitness plan?

STATS:
22 yrs old male
5’8 tall
185lbs weight

GOALS:
Want to lose 20 lbs
Build calf muscles
Sculpt arms
Lose fat around midsection (majority of fat storage)
Defend body

FITNESS PLAN:
I drink at least 72 ounces of water daily.
Diet consists of vegetables, chicken, turkey, and grilled fish. No fried foods, nothing consisting of 10% fat or more, no beef, no pork, & no soft drinks.
30 mins of cardio (treadmill) at least 3 times a week.
Light weightlifting to sculpt upper body and arms.
Also taking Hydroxicut.

QUESTIONS:
I just implemented this fitness plan with the exception of the change in diet, started it about a month ago.
When should I see some results?
Does Hydrocut really work?
What revisions do you recommend I make?
Is this good enough?
If all else fails, can I at least expect to lose my gut?
Is 160-165lbs idea for someone of my stature and will this defined my body?

Please help; I’m a former junk food junkie who never exercised a day in his life. All replies greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2002, 07:49 AM   #2
Knightfall

Knightfall HB User
anyone?

Old 05-17-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
You started all this about 4 weeks ago and you havent noticed any changes? It's a very good regimen... and hydroxycut does work some, short term.

How are you keeping track of progress? Scale, mirror, measuring tape, fat calipers? With your dietary changes alone you should see some fat loss. Make sure you keep a calorie deficit based on your BMR (there are numerous calculators available online that will help you determine this, if you haven't already). If you get no results with this, you might consider increasing cardio. Duration or frequency. Or both. And be sure you are getting enough protein. Even if you aren't going for muscle mass, it will help lean you out. Hope that helps.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
ScottGee

ScottGee HB User
Naxs is right on!

Please define "light weight lifting"

Old 05-17-2002, 10:38 AM   #5
Knightfall

Knightfall HB User
I changed the diet about 4 weeks ago. I just started the exercise this week. I wanted to make sure I was doing enough. I can already feel the difference but and I'm seeing some results. By light weight lifting I mean I'm doing the minimal to "feel the burn." After reading some other post here I realize that it is working. I plan to weigh every Monday morning. I have access to scales at my work.

Old 05-17-2002, 12:07 PM   #6
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Don't trust the scale if you are lifting. Get a fat caliper, learn how to use it, use tape measure and trust the mirror. Weight may not change at all, but muscle is more dense than fat, so add some muscle and lose some fat, and a scale tells you nothing at all.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:09 PM   #7
ScottGee

ScottGee HB User
you are more likely to see good results from your resistance exercise if you learn to work past the burn. The burn during exercise is actually an indication of endurance and how well your body delivers Oxygen to the site of muscular activity. The waste product lactic acid can cause the "burn" while the "pumped feeling is a combination of that and the muscles being gorged with blood.

A better way to gage whether you are stimulating enough of and the right type of muscle fibers is to go by the number of reps that you are doing. What ever the number of reps is that you are doing, make sure that the weight is heavy enough that you make the number of reps effective. For instance, if you are doing a set that requires 10-12 reps, lifting a weight that you can get 15 reps (strength-wise) but stopping at 12 does you almost no good at all. It means your intensity is too low to make the weights effective. Which also slows your progress down. If the muscles aren't forced to have to adapt to a weight that is heavier that normal, we don't get the results we want since we are adaptive beings.

In weight training, mentally, there can be no such thing as maintaining. You are either progressing or going backwards. By this I mean that if you always lift the same weights soon our bodies will adapt and then we will not get enough stimulation to cause new growth. this will eventually result in atrophy.

So, even though your goal may not be to become a huge monster, you can adjust your weights and reps accordingly, lift lighter weights for more reps and work to failure (past the burn).

Closed Thread