It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

weights with ab workout

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2002, 06:03 PM   #1
joethejoe

joethejoe HB User
Post weights with ab workout

Has anyone seen better results from using weights with their ab workout?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 11:15 PM   #2
TheShiftyEyedOne

TheShiftyEyedOne HB User
If you are trying to get more pronounced abs, it works out.........just like any other muscle. If you are going for a smaller waist line though, may not want to go too heavy. And only do straight forward crunches, no sides or your obliques may bet too thick.

Old 05-24-2002, 08:04 AM   #3
roundhouse101

roundhouse101 HB User
IMO, your abs are just like any other muscle, the more you work them, the more defined they will become. But remember, you must diet to get rid of the fat layer that sits on top of the muscle if the '6-pack' look is what you are after. And I disagree with the previous poster that obliques should be omitted from your workout because they might get too thick. I believe the opposite is true, but that is just my opinion. I think you need to balance your routines with your abs just like any other muscle group; chest balances the back, hams balance the quads, obliques balance your entire body. My suggestion is to work your abs- upper, lower, and obliques with weights for toning and paying extra attention to your diet so you can show off your hard work!!

A-

Old 05-24-2002, 08:39 AM   #4
absolut6699

absolut6699 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by roundhouse101:
IMO, your abs are just like any other muscle, the more you work them, the more defined they will become. But remember, you must diet to get rid of the fat layer that sits on top of the muscle if the '6-pack' look is what you are after. And I disagree with the previous poster that obliques should be omitted from your workout because they might get too thick. I believe the opposite is true, but that is just my opinion. I think you need to balance your routines with your abs just like any other muscle group; chest balances the back, hams balance the quads, obliques balance your entire body. My suggestion is to work your abs- upper, lower, and obliques with weights for toning and paying extra attention to your diet so you can show off your hard work!!
A-
Awesome advice... the abs NEED to be worked out just as after as your chest, biceps, etc..

The reason why is because your abs and obliques are the power center for everything you do!! Working these muscles into your routine like you do every other muscle will help to make you stronger!!

Good luck!

-Absolut

Old 05-24-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
hardcoredummy
Inactive

hardcoredummy HB User
Like so many have said, the abs are like every other body parts, and need to be stressed beyond what they normally handle to increase definition and size. But don't worry about gaining size in your waist... the abs are an extremely thin muscle group, and won't be protruding much.

Old 05-24-2002, 08:33 PM   #6
JeanM
Inactive

JeanM HB User
While your waist measurement may go up (slightly), nice, taught obliques will still look better.

I hold a 10 lb. weight behind my head when I do straight crunches on the ball. My abs really have "popped" since then. I'm pretty lean (15 % bodyfat) and petite. My waist used to be 24 when I was just thin, now it's a 25, but my entire mid-section just looks so much better.

Closed Thread