It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Pain in shins from jogging

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2002, 09:43 AM   #1
PrincessShana

PrincessShana HB User
Unhappy Pain in shins from jogging

I started jogging last week. About a mile a day. I have this pain in my shins that still hasn't gone away. Does anyone have any idea what this is? What can I do to get it to go away? It isn't bad at all after I jog, but when I wake up in the morning, it is terrible!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2002, 01:38 PM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Probably a case of the dreaded shin splints. Ice and rest will help recover from them now and working on endurance will help prevent them in the future. Just jog in shorter intervals until the calf and shin muscles are strong enough to handle the stress.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 11-12-2002, 05:44 PM   #3
Kielbasa
(male)

Kielbasa HB User
I agree, it sounds like shin splints.

I'm a runner and I have had problems with shin splints in the past ... there are one of the most frustrating and nagging injuries a runner can have.

There are a number of things that can cause shin splints:

(1) Running on extremely hard surfaces ... concrete is the worst. The continuous pounding causes connective tissue to experience trauma (microscopic tears in the muscle and sheathing around the shin bone). Try running on softer surfaces like grass or a rubberized track at your local high school or university. If you have to run on pavement, try to run on asphalt pavement ... it's more flexible than concrete.

(2) Old shoes. The life of a running shoe is only about 500 miles or 6 months, depending on your weekly mileage ... beyond this, running shoes lose their ability to absorb shock and your shins are forced to compensate.

(3) Wrong shoe for your foot type. If your feet tend to over-pronate (roll inward) or under-pronate (roll outward) when you run, you need a shoe that is designed to offset the pronation. The wrong shoe will only magnify the problem and cause your shin splints to get worse.

(4) Unbalanced muscular strength in lower leg. If your shin muscles are much, much weaker than your calve muscles, you can develop shin splints. Walking on your heels for a couple of minutes a day will strengthen your shin muscles.

(5) Over training or increasing your mileage to quickly. Probably the most common cause of shin splints. You should increase your mileage gradually ... no more than 10% each week. You should allow yourself at least two days off each week to give your muscles a chance to rest and heal.

(6) Stretch and warm-up before sprinting out the door on your daily run ... cold, tight muscles injure easily.

Good luck with'em ... give them a chance to rest and take it slow ... get some miles under your belt before increasing the length of your runs.

Closed Thread