It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

FITNESS EQUIPMENT

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
Stigma
(female)

Stigma HB User
Question FITNESS EQUIPMENT

I have heard so many theories about which type of exercise is most beneficial. Some say that only cardio can reduce fat, that "spot reducing" is unrealistic, and that weight training while fat can make matters worse. Others, such as Jorge Cruise, are against aerobic exercise and claim that adding muscle mass is the only way to a leaner body since only muscles (weight training) have the ability to burn fat. I dislike working out in public places, so I've been using cardio machines for years. Is it just me, or is it incredibly hard to stay on an exercise bike for an hour at a time? Does anyone follow a fitness plan involoving this kind of equipment and for how long and how often? I'm very interested in bying a Gazelle Glider. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2002, 09:50 AM   #2
Magpiezoe
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, I can stay on an exercise bike for an hour. You just have to build yourself up to it. You can also space your exercise out in intervals like 1/2 hour in the morning and 1/2 hour in the evening. I have found that the Gameboy is a great device for keeping the exercise bike from becoming too boring. The Gameboy works even better than the TV.

------------------
Magpie

Old 11-13-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
Chelle1977
Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
Actually, you want to do both weight training AND cardio; along with some stretching.

Cardio helps you burn fat. Weight training tells your body that you're still using those muscles, so please do not use them for energy (this helps keep your metabolism revving). And stretching helps reduce sorness and chances for injury.

I liked Magpiezoe's suggestion of doing 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.

Old 11-13-2002, 10:17 AM   #4
Stigma
(female)

Stigma HB User
Thanks, guys. Both your responses make a lot of sense. I *can* make myself stay on the exercise bike for an hour, but it is *much* more difficult lately than it's ever been before since I weigh more than ever. About a year ago, I was completely addicted to that bike and wasn't able to start my day before finishing an hour on it. So 1/2 an hour is just not enough, eh?

Magpie, when you're riding your bike for an hour, do you do some other movements w/ your arms to work your waste/upper body or do you just peddal away?

Old 11-13-2002, 10:24 AM   #5
Chelle1977
Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
Stigma ..

You don't have to start out doing an hour. If its physically uncomfortable (I thought you were bored), then STOP. Do the 30 minutes in the morning for awhile. Eventually, you'll be able to work up to doing an hour again.

Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
someguyinhis20s

someguyinhis20s HB User
Stigma,

You have to do both cardio and weight training. Only cardio burns subcutaneous fat, the fat under the skin. Weight training may add muscle, but it's not that easy to add muscle. 1 pound burns 35 calories so you'd have to add a significant amount of muscle to see a difference. Second, add muscle usually requires increasing your calories so you will also gain a little fat. That Jorge Cruise is an idiot if he thinks you don't need cardio.

Avoid the Gazelle Glider. I heard it's junk just like most infommercial stuff. It makes a lot of noise when you use it and it's poorly assembled.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
Eri©TheViking

Eri©TheViking HB User
I would take someguy's advice. Run from anything sold via infommericial. They're just out to prey on people's misinformation.

I have a Nordic Track I use 4 days a week. And I mix in jump roping, rollerblading and other stuff to keep it fresh. And, of course, I lift at the gym.

Closed Thread