It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

swimming to lose weight?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2002, 01:39 AM   #1
AusStarlet

AusStarlet HB User
Post swimming to lose weight?

Hi I'm looking to join a gym to get fitter, lose weight and tone up. The fitness plan I'm thinking of joining, lets you choose to have access to 2 of the center's 3 options, 1) the pool, 2) the gym or 3) the group exercise classes.
I'll definitely want access to the gym but I can't decide whether I'd like access to the pool or group exercise classes. Its Summer over in Australia right now, so access to the pool to exercise in hot weather would be good. And I know swimming also burns a lot of calories and is low impact. However I'm not really a huge fan of swimming as I find it annoying with the chlorine, and having to get wet etc. Then again with the group classes, I've never tried them before and I don't know whether I'd like exercising with other people.
Would swimming be a better option to lose weight and burn calories overall?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2002, 02:17 AM   #2
Endorphin Junky
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
I prefer group training since having other people exercising with you is a good motivator and you also get to know a few other people who go to the same gym. If you're not sure, I'm sure the gym will let you try out a few classes before you decide one way or the other.

Old 11-16-2002, 06:11 PM   #3
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
I agree, i'd go for the group enviroment. Those group classes can be hard impact though, so if that's even a concern i'd say the pool. Although they should get pool group activities because there's a lot of good stuff you can do in a pool besides swim. "deep water jogging" for example is good at getting the heart rate up and is really low impact and still allows you to get a great cardio workout. Swimming i really only care to do if i'm training to swim (which I do want to eventually get into triatholons), and I like cardio classes. So again, the group enviroment is fun, you get to meet people, great motivation and is good for getting fit.

And one can't really say which would be better for you because we have no idea what these group classes are. It really comes down to how high it gets your heart rate up and what kind of muscle involvement is in there (if you're looking to better muscle performance). And when it comes to swimming, unless you have some equipment (fins are great for building legs) and know how to swim in the different techniques, it's really gonna be hard to get a great workout from it. But swimming is a great workout! I still swim just to relax for the most part (as i'm not taking the swimming class anymore).

Closed Thread