It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Vegan Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2002, 05:35 PM   #1
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
Post Vegan Question

Hey, I was wondering if there's any vegan body builders out there. I'm curious to know how a vegan stays buff. How 'bout on a raw diet? Is it possible? Hmm, i'd ask for links to info but yeah, can't post those! Any info ya'll can give though would be much appreciated. Thanks.

~Wolf

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2002, 08:19 PM   #2
NancyH
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
According to Arnold Shawarstinager(sp)he is a vegetarian wanna be but he has said in the past, it is very difficult to buff as you say without alot of protein that only meat has to offer. Protein of plant and protein of meat have different properties. Altho I bet it has been done without the meat and maybe someone here has done so. I know you have to eat alot of protein and do alot of strength training to get there.

Old 11-10-2002, 03:04 PM   #3
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I know of several vegetarian bodybuilders, but I don't think I have ever met one that is a vegan. I suspect to get enough protein to gain mass on a vegan diet(and probably a raw food diet, as well) you would have to eat nearly prohibitive amounts of food and probably get an excess of carbs, so cutting would be tough without losing mass. This is not to say that you can't build a strong and healthy phisique, but I wouldn't count on packing on mass.

just a PS... there is a lot of controversy about the phytoestrogen effects of soy, so while it is a possibility for a replacement for meat proteins (edamame, tofu, soy milk etc), it could have undesireable side effects and even hindrances for gaining mass.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

[This message has been edited by Naxis (edited 11-10-2002).]

Old 11-10-2002, 03:38 PM   #4
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
This chick i'm interested in is Vegan, i'm trying to get her in shape and tone up some muscle, she gets a lot of protein from like certain drinks, or protein power bars of some sort. There's a lot of protein in processed things out there like that. She's going to eventually get into a raw diet which then would cut those out so I really don't see how she could get a good amount of protein. I actually have no problem with becoming a vegitarian if not for the most part vegan, I'm not going to get into bodybuilding, but I do have a lot of muscle mass (which I woudln't mind actually getting rid of some!), my concern is losing strength, which has happened since i've been training endurance. So yeah, just curious what kind of bodybuilding vegan diets people might have come across lol

Old 11-11-2002, 02:49 AM   #5
Endorphin Junky
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
You want to lose muscle but not lose strength? How is this going to work?
If you're going to avoid protien supplements too, it makes life alot harder. You can get protein from various beans and lentils and stuff though. However, plant protein is incomplete so you'll need to combine several different sources to get adequate protein. You can't completely replace meat protein though.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:03 AM   #6
Magpiezoe
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, Look up JACK LA LANNE'S home page. He was Mr. Universe and is a vegetarian. How muscular does she want to be? You can build muscles as a vegetarian, but a female is not going to look like a body builder without cheating. (Steroids)

------------------
Magpie

Old 11-11-2002, 08:26 AM   #7
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
If you can still have eggs and dairy (whey) on your vegetarian diet, you shouldn't have any trouble getting enough protein. Just expect to eat a lot of eggs.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 11-12-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
H8CC
Veteran

H8CC HB User
There is a book out there that deals with bodybuilding on a raw food diet. Im assuming a vegan raw food diet, but im not sure. The promo paragraph i read used a gorilla as an example - raw vegan with strength equivilant to a 4,000lb bench press. Dont remember title or author, but its out there

H8CC

Old 11-15-2002, 07:21 PM   #9
NancyH
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Is she vegetarian in what way? Ovo Lacto? some vegans won't eat anything with a face while some vegans will eat the by products like milk cheese etc. You can get good protein from the dairy side of things.

Old 11-16-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
Veganism is the belief that you use nothing from animals and try to live off organic substances for food and other resources, based off the belief of cruelity to animals in the way we 'manufacture' them for our own desires. Vegitarinism varies a lot more in that many believe in eating "cold" animals (still haven't figured out what the hell that really means lol) but in that it'd be okay to eat fish and eggs, as well as animal by -products. Just telling ya'll this so no one gets confused on the beliefs.

As for a vegan raw diet ... if it wasn't vegan would that really mean someone would try to eat animals raw?! lol *pictures Ace Ventura eating with the lions*

But she doesn't want to become a bodybuilder by any means, just be more physically fit, which an increase is muscle mass is a good thing.

And when I say lose muscle mass without losing strength, I mean keeping it to a minimal. Strength isn't directly proportional to your muscle mass, the nervous systems and such factor into it. I know my strength will drop as my muscle mass declines (but I don't plan to lose a bunch of mass or anything) but I do still want to keep a strong lift and relatively close to what it is now. My goal though is really endurance, muscular and cardiovascular. As for supplements though, if I ever become veg. In any sense, i'll have to have supplements.

Old 11-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #11
H8CC
Veteran

H8CC HB User
Sushi

Old 11-21-2002, 01:27 PM   #12
Magpiezoe
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, If you just want a healthy, slightly muscular body; then it's the type of exercises you do that build the muscle. Personally, I feel that you don't really need a lot of protein to build muscles and that it doesn't have to be animal protein. I am going on the assumption that you are Vegan. There's protein in tofu, beans, and nuts. I am not vegetarian, but I do not eat a lot of protein. I only eat meat 0-1 times per day. (3 oz. serving.)I eat mostly fish/seafood or vegetarian meals. I do eat one serving of low-fat cheese eat day, because I don't drink milk. I also take 1 multi-vitamin and 600 mg. of calcium plus 'D.' I respect vegetarians. There are vegetarain classes out there that you may want to look for.

Anyhow, I am rather muscular. I don't look like a lady body builder, but I do have very lean muscle mass to the point that the suction cups from the EKG machine won't stay on my body. I'm now in the process of geting ripples on my diaphram. I already have nice muscle definitin on my skinny arms, so exercise has worked for me. I do dumb-bells (5 and 10 lbs.) or the Versa lift every 2-3 days plus aerobics. The days I don't lift I do aerobics or a stationary bike for 45-60 min. I find that the kickboxing tapes with the free weight segment in them gave me the most definition. I really like the free weights/dumb bells the best, since they are so portable. I'm not a professional, but I do like what I'm doing and what I see happening with my body.

------------------
Magpie

Closed Thread