It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

First-time exerciser is losing too much weight

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
lintacious

lintacious HB User
Post First-time exerciser is losing too much weight

Question: How can i stop myself from losing too much weight from my exercise routine?

Situation:
Two months ago I said...
1) I have never exercised in my life. 2) I am a naturally thin person. 3) I eat whatever.

Recently, however, I have begun jogging every other day. I am only doing this to stay healthy and fit.
I want to make it clear that I do not and did not intend to lose weight. I simply don't want to have heart disease when I'm 40 (i'm 20 now). When I began running i weighed 117 (i'm 5'5.5"), which has been my weight for the last 3 or 4 years. After two months of this exercise (a jog of about 15min every other day) I lost 7 lbs.

I don't notice a change in my appearance but the scale (which i can't absolutely trust, i know) told me this. Even if the scale is off slightly, I am still scared to lose weight. I know that my natural body-type is already underweight and since my goal in exercising is to be healthy... losing weight would be contradictory.

I eat small meals every three hours. Not the super healthiest (pop tarts), but i try to get starches (although they are the bad ones like bagels but i do put peanut butter on them) and carbs in. Oh, all i drink is water. I don't have a big appetite. I have to force myself to eat every three hours because a simple bowl of cereal can hold me over for six hours or more. So, I don't want the solution to be "simply eat eat eat."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
What kind of solution are you looking for, especially being that you recognize that it's the most obvious answer? I can hardly believe that 15 minutes of jogging 3 to 4 times a week has making you drop 7 pounds, but it's not an impossibility if that is the only factor that has changed. That possibility aside... you do need to eat more to prevent weight loss. Not necessarily more food, just higher caloric intake. Consider some flax oil if you have a small appetite. 1 Tbsp of good fats has ~130 calories 2 or 3 a day is about right. Maybe a weight gainer shake once in a while. The alternative is to stop exercising, but as you have guessed, that leads to lazy heart and exponentially increases risks of all kinds for your health later. Look for high carb food, also. Since that is the preferred fuel for the body, it will burn that before going on to body fat or muscle. Maybe keep sucking candies on hand, since they're not really filling. I dunno what else to tell you. Anyone else have ideas?

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 11-26-2002, 01:31 PM   #3
Timber
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Wow, lintacious, I have the EXACT same height and weight as you! I also lose weight when I exercise which is NOT cool because I am too thin already, and no matter how much I eat I can't gain. I don't have a solution though...

Old 11-26-2002, 04:54 PM   #4
Absinthe
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
I agree with Naxis, you need to look at your diet. Carbs burn off pretty quick, so maybe add some protein and fat to your meals. And for God's sake, lose the Poptarts! Nothing but sugar. Try oatmeal with nuts mixed in, or an eggwhite omelet with veggies instead. Maybe even meal replacement drinks or bars.

Keep exercising but maybe decrease the intensity? 15 minutes isn't much, so maybe you are just going at it too hard and fast.

Sorry if this isn't the advice you wanted, but what are the alternatives?

Old 11-27-2002, 05:43 PM   #5
crcaz

crcaz HB User
I would not eat too frequently since that can speed up your metabolism and eat four large meals with atleast twice the amount of carbs to protein w/ lots of unsaturated fats(20:60:20). Replace some of those water binges w/ weight gain shakes and a shake before u retire for the day. Use better protein sources w/ high/balanced amino acid contents/complex carbs/unsaturated fat sources.

I would go on a weight lifting program 2x-3x a week for ~30 min. and stick to mass/multi-muscle building exercises like fullsquats(which also develops shapely buttocks), benchpress, etc. eat a balanced meal an hour before and a healthy protein/carb shake 1/2 hour afterwards.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by crcaz (edited 11-27-2002).]

Closed Thread