It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Intermediate lifter, need supplement advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2002, 10:20 AM   #1
mhn8d1

mhn8d1 HB User
Post Intermediate lifter, need supplement advice

Right now I'm taking MetRX protein shake once per day (I drink it in halves, one half between breakfast and lunch, the other between lunch and dinner). I'm also taking creatine and Xenadrine (yes, I am aware of the health risks of ephedrine products when used improperly). I also take a once-per-day multi-vitamin.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on brands of this stuff I should be using? Is MetRX a good brand of protein shake? What brand of creatine is the best? Are there any other supplements I should be taking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2002, 01:57 PM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Looks pretty sound to me. Maybe add some glutamine if you think you need it... and consider a flax oil if you dont get much healthy fat in your average diet. Otherwise, just keep it simple.

The kind of protein shgake you want will depend on what your goals and needs are. Calories, carbs, lactose, taste and price are things to consider. If what you are taking meets your needs, no need to change.

Don't know much about creatine. Maybe one of the boys can help you out there...

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

[This message has been edited by Naxis (edited 12-02-2002).]

Old 12-02-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
H8CC
Veteran

H8CC HB User
creatine purity does vary by brand. here is an exerpt from and article written by terry giles from the muscle mag. website;
How can Creatine be Pure for 10 bucks a barrel? Pure Creatine on a label - refers to the fact that it is only creatine in the bottle (no additional additives or preservatives) other than maybe some sort of "delivery system" or "flavor system" - it DOES NOT refer to the ACTUAL purity of the Creatine itself. It is not referring to the actual purity of the creatine raw material that was used in the manufacture of the product you are holding in your hand. The purity of creatine ranges from extremely high to extremely poor - and cost is usually vindicative as to the raw material that was used. Creatine is "created" through a manufacturing and refinement process. The more expensive German and U.S. creatines go through a more extensive refinement process - SKW Creatine is actually manufactured by a patented "double stripping" process - to insure even a higher quality or purity - anyhow these U.S. and German creatines are processed under - for lack of a better term - more complete processes - rsulting in a creatine raw material that is more pure - they are lower in creatinine, dicyandiamide and dihydrotriazine as well as sodium. These creatines are dry to the touch - definate granuals (they are not clumped together) you can actually take a single granual and it looks like a granual of salt. The color is pure white. Lesser quality creatines (and there are many- they are the cheap ones on the shelf) are yellowish in color - and are far higher in impurities and outside toxins - they are far cheaper - but the actual purity of the creatine is terrible.
as a sidenote i have used the prolab stuff, and GNC creatine with next to no results, although the prolab is supposedly very good.. ive come to the conclusion creatine just doesnt work for me.
H8CC

Old 12-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
Mitchell_46

Mitchell_46 HB User
I agree. I cycled with creatine for nearly 2 months and I seen no results whatsoever.

------------------
OBSESSED is just a work the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
EriŠTheViking

EriŠTheViking HB User
If you're having just one protein shake a day, you may be wasting your time. You should be getting minimum one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Some people need more to put on muscle. Unless the rest is coming from diet, you should be supplementing 2-3 times a day.
I drink three shakes of 20 grams each every day. But that's still a long ways away from my dialy intake needs (175 grams, minimum) but I get the rest from food.

[This message has been edited by EriŠTheViking (edited 12-04-2002).]

Closed Thread