It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Need suggestions for a Christmas gift for a beginner...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2002, 06:26 AM   #1
Makinmschf
Inactive

Makinmschf HB User
Post Need suggestions for a Christmas gift for a beginner...

weightlifter..Actually it is my son..he is 13 yrs old and has really gotten into lifting weights at his friends house and in all honesty..this kid has muscles!! Anyway, I thought I would buy him a weight lifting bench for Christmas but I do not want to invest big bucks into this until I see that he is going to stick with it.I have looked at several sets and found one at my local WalMart store that includes 80lbs of weights..and the price isnt bad at all..it was like 60 bucks.Any suggestions or advice? He is 5'6" and weighs 164 lbs( yeah yeah I know big kid for his age..all my boys are...the 15 yr old is 6-1 and weighs 200 and wears a size 14 shoe already)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2002, 07:55 AM   #2
H8CC
Veteran

H8CC HB User
If your confidant he is going to stick with it, 80lbs of weight isnt going to cut it. Maybe somthing like gloves or a belt? gym membership?
H8CC

Old 12-08-2002, 08:29 AM   #3
Makinmschf
Inactive

Makinmschf HB User
H8..You really dont think that 80 lbs isnt good enough to start him out on?? I was thinking that it would be a good starting point and I could add weights as necessary..as for the gloves and belt..wouldn't those be worthless to him without weights to lift?? As far as gym membership...it isnt necessary..we are military so we have free use of a gym but because he is only 13 he doesnt drive and doesnt always have access to get TO the gym..that is why I was thinking that a weight bench at home would be a good thing for him.
ANYONE else??

Old 12-08-2002, 08:46 AM   #4
H8CC
Veteran

H8CC HB User
if you plan on adding weight in the very near future, then it would be fine. What type of bar is it? that makes abit of diff. But people are different i suppose.
Oh, and i only suggusted the belt/gloves because i assumed he was lifting regularly at his friends.

H8CC

Old 12-08-2002, 10:47 AM   #5
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I have heard bad things about the WalMart weight sets in terms of quality of product. If you have any Recycle Fitness type places that sell used equipment, you will probably get a better quality for less expensive. Everything I have ever bought at a used shop was in great condition. Until you're sure he plans to stay with it, I wouldnt go too elaborate (unless you're going to use it too.) That 80 lb set... it is dumbell or barbell?

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 12-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #6
Makinmschf
Inactive

Makinmschf HB User
Thanks for the response Naxis...this is the info on the bench:
Two 20-pound weights
Two 10-pound weights
Two 8-pound weights
Steel bar with textured hand grips
2 spring clips that can also be used as hand developers
Weights included
(the bench is also multi positioning)I realize that I will have to add weights as time goes on but that is what birthdays and rewards are for : )..also..unfortunately we do not have any second hand consignment stores for sporting goods in my area(bummer)

[This message has been edited by Makinmschf (edited 12-08-2002).]

Old 12-09-2002, 05:13 AM   #7
Absinthe
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
Young people shouldn't lift extremely heavy weights until they are finished growing (regardless of their size) so I would go with the starter set.

How about a session with a personal trainer or some kind of class? Or maybe a gift basket with small items like lifting gloves, energy snacks, training journal, etc.

Closed Thread