It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Not feeling the burn with Benchpress

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
Ruh-Roh

Ruh-Roh HB User
Post Not feeling the burn with Benchpress

Hey. I just recently started upping my weight on my lifts. I 3 sets of benchpress, untill failure. I havent gotten more than 8 reps a set and my last one is usually like 5 reps. The problem is I don't feel my muscles burning when I do it. Like on my last one my muscles are burning, I just CANT go anymore. Is this normal? or should I lessin the weight so I can feel the burn again lol. I donno just thought id ask

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
That's normal when you are going for fewer reps and higher weight. You hit failure much faster. So long as you really have to strain and push for that last rep, you're doing it right. If you are itching for the burn, try drop sets. Do those 8 to failure with the heavier weight, then do as many more as you can with a lighter weight. I guarantee you will feel a burn then and it's not taking away from using the heavier weights.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 12-11-2002, 11:01 PM   #3
Griffy
Inactive

Griffy HB User
I had the same problem for a while. I never felt the burn in my pecs when I did any kind of exercise for my chest. What you want to do is 'squeeze' your pecs at the top of your motion while doing bench. By 'sqeezing' I mean to actually flex your pec's when your presseing the bar away from your body. When I do that, I feel the burn every single time.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
crcaz

crcaz HB User
I would do a chest isolation exercise prior to bench press called pre-exhaust method. For example: the pec dec machine, flyes- that works more solely your chest then when u bench your chest gives out first instead of your triceps or shoulders. Also, try a fuller range of motion which dumbells provide more so than a barbell or bench to right below your adams apple/upper chest- make sure to have a spotter.

Closed Thread