It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Help me gain a few pounds???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2002, 09:32 AM   #1
lbaby_22

lbaby_22 HB User
Post Help me gain a few pounds???

Hey everyone, 5'2 and 100 lbs. I'd really like to get up to about 115-120 lbs. I really don't want to get into powders or vitamins etc. if there is another way. I eat very well, but I just can't seem to gain the weight. Are there certain foods I should add to my diet to help gain weight? I was told that peanut butter is good, but I've been eating peanut butter all my life, I'm a peanut butter freak, lol. I was told I might not have enough protein or something in my diet, are protein shakes good for that? Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2002, 11:48 AM   #2
HTR2001SS

HTR2001SS HB User
Here are my suggestions:

1. EAT Eat Eat and then eat some more to begin with.

2. Setup a lifting schedule something like this

Day 1:
Bench
Incline
Dips
Close grip bench
Skull crushers
abs

Day 2 - rest

Day 3
Chins
Deadlifts
bnet over rows
Curls
Hammer curls
abs

Day 4 rest

Day 5
Squats
Leg press
Calf raises
Military Press
lateral raises
Shrugs
Abs

Day 6 - rest

Day 7 (start over)
If you can hold this lifting to about 45 minutes then do a some light cardio as well. However, if you really want to bulk up stay aaway from overdoing teh cardio. Lift heavy (6-8 rep range), no more than 3 sets per lift and no moe than 2-3 movements per body part.

When you setup your routine, try to include the major compund movements (squats, curls, Military press, deadlifts), these movements alone will really help you get big as they use alot of muscles and alot of big muscles at once. You should focus on these movements if you can.

Finally, for getting big - maore aint better - intense and infrequent lifting is the key. I do two body parts evey five days - but do them hard.

I do also recommend a protein shake - IMMEDIATELY - after you get done with your workouts - major boost here...

I hope this helps, its what has worked for me... Good luck

Old 12-19-2002, 07:50 AM   #3
Chelle1977
Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
You need to add more calories ;-D

What is a normal day like for you? Do you eat breakfast? If not, I suggest you start. A good breakfast for a non-eater would be a protein shake or something like Ensure or Carnation. A protein shake would probably be a better choice - I think Ensure and Carnation are fairly high in sugar. As you get used to "eating" breakfast, you may be able to add real food vs. liquid calories.

I also recommend adding liquid calories either btw meals or with meals. I LOVE to drink something with flavor when I'm eating. And I'm fat. ;-D Things like OJ and 1% milk (or even 2%) add calories that you don't necessarily notice.

Closed Thread