It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

The Burn! (pump)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
IRON

IRON HB User
Post The Burn! (pump)

Hi all
I have a question which I have been looking for an answer to but have not found it,and my last time i was here everyone was so helpfull. Here is my question Hope someone can help.

I have trained now for over 4 months and have only felt what people call the Burn "Once" "I know it is diffrent with everyone" but, How meany sets or reps must you do to get the BURN(pump) going with out over training? I am 17 ,10 stone hardly any fat, 5 foot 7 male. Oh yeah also when i had the Burn going i trained 1 hour on arms!! Thanks for takeing the time to read this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2002, 08:18 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Overtraining is a term generally used to describe too many _days_ of training and not allowing for enough recovery. Since lifting is what breaks the muscle down and recovery is what builds it back up, if you are just continuously doing damage, you're gonna screw yourself in the end. Pushing reps and sets to full fatigue and burn is not overtraining. If you are doing tons of reps and not feeling a burn, up the weight and keep pushing till you do. However, you don't _necessarily_ have to feel the burn to hit full fatigue, but you should really have to fight for that least rep.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 12-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
IRON

IRON HB User
Hi Naxis
Thanks for your reply I have learned alot from your post about overtraining and the Burn. I now have more confidence in the gym, now I know more about these factors. Chears m8 good luck and happy training

Old 12-17-2002, 03:51 PM   #4
gambit32

gambit32 HB User
That sounds like a lot of training for such a small muscle group. If you haven't felt the "burn" perhaps you need to up your intensity. I think in this case you want quality of quantity.
Try keeping your rest time between sets at a minimum. Try switching up your exercises and angles you perform them at. A lot of times that can make a difference. Try compound sets, drop sets, and make sure you're focusing on the pump. When you think you can't do anymore, squeeze out a few more reps. If you have a spotter you can do negatives.
Again though, make sure you're getting good quality reps, concentrating on the pump and your form.

Old 12-17-2002, 05:21 PM   #5
IRON

IRON HB User
Smile

Question To up my intensity and do more controled reps (slow reps)do i lighten the weight so i can realy conecentrate on the burn? or just do more reps? Also if i take more weight off how much shall it be 60% what i can handle less or more? and another thing when you hit the burn how much longer shall you train on the bodypart.

Chears guys thanks for the posts hope to here from you soon.

[This message has been edited by IRON (edited 12-17-2002).]

Old 12-18-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
gambit32

gambit32 HB User
The way I up my intensity is that I take little to no rest between sets or for instance if i'm doing arms, I'll do a triceps exercise and then immediately go to a biceps exercise with no rest.
I also try to find my one rep max and then attempt to lift up to 80-85% of that on my last set. Generally I don't count reps. I let my body tell me when it's done. But I do try to get out at least 6-8 reps on my very last set, even if I need someone to spot me all the way through. For me, once I start to feel that burn, the lactic acid build up, I know I'm really close to exhaustion. Usually that means I have 1-3 reps left.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
Endorphin Junky
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
Upping the intensity generally means less time between sets or more weight. Which you do is up to you. Good (occasionally used) techniques for upping your intensity are:
Drop sets
Partial reps
Supersets
Forced reps
Negatives

These are generally used to get past a plateau or to shock your muscle to keep them growing though, so you shouldn't use them too often if you're a beginner/intermediate level trainer.

Gambit: When using forced reps, you shouldn't need someone to help you through the whole set. If you do, it means you're lifting too much weight. You can use forced reps to get a couple of reps out at the end of a set to work past failure, but there's no point doing a forced set and you could easily injure yourself.
Personally, my favorite technique to increase intensity and shock my muscle in to growth is using drop sets.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:11 AM   #8
IRON

IRON HB User
Cool

Thanks alot guys for all your help On the burn! i will try the methods you have sead see if i can hit the burn that way. Thanks all you have been a big help.
Good luck in your training.

Closed Thread