It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

How meany times?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
IRON

IRON HB User
Post How meany times?

Hi all
You have proberly had a post like this like a millon times but here i go..

how meany times Should you take a Protein shake for best results if you want to be a bodybuilder? Also how meany times should you work each muscle group?Iv heard so meany people say meany things like 2 times a week once a week?

im 17 male 5foot 8" and about 10 stone..

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2002, 02:41 AM   #2
Endorphin Junky
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
There's no magic number of protein shakes your need to take. You don't need to take any at all. If you're looking to put on muscle, you just need to make sure you're get about 1g of protein per pound of body weight (eg a 200lb person would need 200g of protein per day). It's actually better to get this protein from whole foods but thats alot of protein, so protein shakes supplement your diet to get your protein intake up to your required level. Don't neglect your other food groups though as they're equally important to muscle growth. Make sure you get plenty of complex carbs and good fats. Don't completely/overly cut fats. Low fat intake = low testosterone levels = less gains. Just make sure you get as little saturated and trans-fatty acid as possible and get most of your fat through polyunsaturated and monounsaturated sources. A good balance in your diet would be 50%Carbs/30%Protein/20%Fat. It'd different for different people though so adjust it according to your results.

As for how many times to work each muscle group, beginners can work each group twice a week, while more advanced lifters should only work each once. This is working with a regular 'split' workout routine. With whole body workouts, volume (how many rep + sets) lifted needs to be monitored so you don't overtrain.

[This message has been edited by Endorphin Junky (edited 12-24-2002).]

Old 12-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
IRON

IRON HB User
Chears for answering my questions Endorphin Junky you'v been a big help thanks again and good luck in your training..

Old 12-25-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
The key is not related to frequency but it is related to intensity. There are two ways to "build" muscle: One is to cause microdamage which when repaired "thickens" the fiber. The second is very difficult to do but possible, and it involves the fibers actually splitting to form two fibers which are then build-able and repair-able.

If you want to build muscle, focus your attention on high intensity training, - not high or low frequency training. Twice a week low intensity, or daily low intensity, either will not result in the changes you seek.

Old 12-25-2002, 12:42 PM   #5
Endorphin Junky
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
Yup, agree with Merrida. You need work on progressive intensity in your workouts to make good gains, along with good nutrition and adequate rest.

Merrida:
Can you explain what you mean by being able to split muscle fibres? Thanks.

Old 12-25-2002, 06:58 PM   #6
IRON

IRON HB User
thanks for the post.
Well atm im doing a split workout and every muscle i do is to the highst intensity i can do.
I do
Monday.legs abs lower back
wed.chest back calves
fri.shoulders, biceps, triceps

I do these till i go past the pump then move on when i can not do anymore. am i doing this right? and is my workout ok? chears guys you have been very helpfull.

Old 12-26-2002, 02:11 AM   #7
ugotme

ugotme HB User
You're gonna get a better understanding of bodybuilding if you check out some different website. Do a search for "teenbodybuilding" or "bodybuilding" in yahoo and you should see the sites I'm talking about. The MSG boards have loads of info as do the articles.

Closed Thread