It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Elliptical Trainer?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
SabresLover81
(female)

SabresLover81 HB User
Post Elliptical Trainer?

Ok during the summer i used to do 30mins on the treadmill almost everyday but thats not any option anymore plus i got kinda bored with it. How do these elliptical trainers work? Anyone out there use or used one and what were your results? I'm looking to lose about 15-20 more pds. I've also started weight training. Currently for cardio i do a taebo tape, but thats getting boring also. Any imput Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2002, 03:20 PM   #2
penguin chick

penguin chick HB User
ellipticals are great in terms of burning lots of calories and toning your legs. they are however a little hard at first to get use to and when you do get use to them after awhile they get boring, i use to get off after burning 500 calories which took me about 45 minutes, that's pretty extreme, but it is worth a try if u go to a gym to try it there, buying one for home use i probably do not recommend unless you're planning to buy a top of the line, gym quality elliptical. oh yeah, and the elliptical is great in terms of no shin splints and injury.

Old 12-15-2002, 09:49 AM   #3
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I love elip machines. They are much more friendly on the joints and give a workout very close to that of running or jogging. I use one 3 or 4 times a week.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 12-15-2002, 04:40 PM   #4
SabresLover81
(female)

SabresLover81 HB User
Naxis, do you use it at the gym or at home? i want to purchase one but don't have alot of money I was looking into the walmart brands, i got my treadmill from there and thats still going but i don't want to waste money, Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-15-2002, 11:15 PM   #5
rita
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
It seems to me that you are looking for something that will hold your interest and be a good cardio workout at the same time. This may be an impossible quest since you will probably get bored with any repetitive activity and in order to get any results you have to repeat it and repeat it and repeat it...........You may have to look into some dance-type workout. If you can vary the dance you may not get bored quite so fast. Anything that will get you moving and breaking a sweat for at least 20 minutes can be considered a good cardio workout. I would not waste my money on an elliptical trainer (or any other kind of machine). It would meet the same fate as the treadmill and the taebo tape.

[This message has been edited by rita (edited 12-16-2002).]

Old 12-16-2002, 09:17 AM   #6
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
I go to a gym. I don't think I would use home equipment. I like the act of going somewhere to do it. It gets me out of the house, for one... and it puts me into a 'workout mindset' to be in a place geared toward working out. I don't know what equipment would be good for the home.

------------------
Keep your body lean, your blood clean and your mind sharp. -Rollins

Old 12-16-2002, 09:25 AM   #7
Chelle1977
Senior Veteran

Chelle1977 HB User
I'm kind of with rita

Instead of choosing ONE activity and doing it til you get bored, mix your workout routine up. Use the treadmill one day, do TaeBo another, maybe find another tape or two, or buy the elliptical or a bike. Since you're just getting into weight training - you might consider the FIRM tapes.

I am also with Naxis

I'm all about going to the gym. Home workouts are a LOT harder for me to keep up with than going to the gym ever was.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:24 PM   #8
mank

mank HB User
Hey,
I go to the YMCA and I love the elliptical. I can do 30 minutes and work off 350 calories.
It's great!
I will be happy when I start seeing the results.
I have only been doing it for a short time.
They say Cardo is best for Weight loss...so I am banking on this program with light wieghts for firming and toning.
Good Luck - whatever way you go. :-)

Closed Thread