It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

dumbell curling

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #1
tommyboy1984

tommyboy1984 HB User
Post dumbell curling

Hey guys I need some tips on how to make by bisepts larger and stronger. A few weeks ago I was given a set of dumbells and was wondering if they are the best thing to use on bisepts? The way I am useing them is sitting on a chair and putting my elbo on my knee and curling up to my chin. Is this the best way to do it? I really want to increas the mass and strinth in my arms. any tips will be grate.
P.s by this time nest year I would like to have a 100lb dumbell curel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2002, 05:12 PM   #2
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
First off, and no offense, but use a dictionary [url="http://www.dictionary.com"]http://www.dictionary.com[/url]

Second, if you think you're gonna get up to a 100 lb dumbell curl (assuming one handed), you're dreaming. Nice incenstive and motivation, but I wouldn't expect you to get there anytime soon, that's just my opinion.

There's many ways to do a bicep curl, and it really comes down to the variation you use, and what seems to work for you. The idea remains the same through them all (... you curl! lol), but there's some specific methods of which people seem to follow. First off, I like to do a full range of motion by standing up and letting the weight hang down, arm fully extended. Then I curl up keeping the upper arm remaining pointed down and just curling the lower arm up as much as I can, and squeezing the bicep when I get to the peak. I'm still working with how I hold the weight though and turning it this or that way. But like I said, find what works for ya. Takes time and experimentation (and/or researching)

My two things I do is 1) I do the full range slowly, and I mean slow, it takes me like 30 seconds (if i'm patient) to do the first rep. Then I go slowly back down, full extention. I do about three of those with a low weight (poundage). This really elongates(sp?) the lower portion of the bicep and gives it good 'length,' especially on a preacher curl. 2) I do the upper half of that range of motion. This isolates the upper part and builds the 'peak' of the bicep. This method use a lot of weight. The idea is that you can't do the full range of motion with this amount of weight, but you can sure as hell do the upper half and it really puts the mass on that condensing and contracting of the muscle at that peak position. I've gotten great results from just these two methods. I really prefer using a bar though and working both at the same time.

Old 12-27-2002, 06:26 PM   #3
H8CC
Veteran

H8CC HB User
in a standing position, let your arm hang down. keeping your elbow pointed straight down (important), raise the weight up. Bring your forearm up so that it is a little more than a 90 degree angle with your upper arm...the idea is to not touche the upper arm to the bicep, at that point your merely compressing the muscle, not contracting it. A average time for a rep is usually 4 seconds - 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down. routines that involve using abnormally long TUT (time under tension) like the 30secs mentioned above is usually used to shock the muscles - meaning some people will throw it in once a month or so. You should try starting out with a rep range of 8-12, and if that is your only bicep exercise then you could do as few as 3 sets, to as many as 9. Weight training is a very personalized thing, you will most likely have to experiment a bit to find what works best for you.
That said, if your only working your bis you will prob. get them toned up, but they wont put on any real bulk unless you start training your entire body.
Also keep in mind that most of your arm size comes from your triceps.
oh, and ditto to the above, not to burst your bubble, but good luck getting a 100lb curl in a year.

H8CC

[This message has been edited by H8CC (edited 12-27-2002).]

Old 12-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
I would like to have a 100 lb curl period :-P

And that TUT method I mentioned, I started when I had like ... NO bicep! Started doing it over the summer. I'd just go into the weight room when I wasn't sitting on the comp or swimming, i'd go hit some of the machiens at my apartments and i'd do that method, maybe once or twice during the day, maybe every other day. It really got me an elongated bicep like the article I read about it said it would. I still had no bulk to my bicep until I started doing the second method I mentioned. I've had great results from these, including a faster punch (I'm a kickboxer )

Old 12-27-2002, 10:19 PM   #5
tommyboy1984

tommyboy1984 HB User
Sorry about the spelling and thanx for the info. Why dont you think I can add 15lbs to my curl in 1 year?
the dumbells are 85LBS and I can curl it 4 reps with the method that I said earler. agian I,m sorry about the spelling.

Old 12-28-2002, 12:51 AM   #6
darkwolfofvoid
Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
I'm more inclined to say that you're method of curling is wrong then because your bicep cannot be lifting 100 lbs by itself. I like to think of myself as relatively okay in strength still, and I can barely curl 100 lbs with both hands!

And I usually use the second method i mentioned when curling toward the end of my workout, i usually like to just do a straight bar stand up curl, and change the grip, wide, close, norm, throw in an arm blaster when I can (my arms look HUGE in those things! hehe ), I usually do the slow method when I'm at home using my 20 lbs dumbell just for a stimulation while i'm bored. I like to think my biceps still look pretty. But ya gotta remember, i'm not working on strength, just trying to keep somewhat of what I got while I build endurance and some of the mass drops away, along with the fat.

Old 12-28-2002, 08:44 AM   #7
tommyboy1984

tommyboy1984 HB User
darkwolfofvoid, from the way your talking you have been lifting for a while and it seems like you know what your talking about. I appreciate the info your giveing me so keep it comming. thire's only one think thoe that I find hard to belive and its that you've been working out for a while but only can curle 50lbs per hand? I was at a little store the other day and the had alot of weight equipment so I found the dumbells. I grabed the set of 100lbs but could not curle them. But then I saw a set of 60lbs dumbells and used the standing method that was metiond earler and curled my right arm 36times and my left arm 27 times befor I couldent possible do another rep. However I did NOT use the slow method. I pumped it up and let it fall back. But any way I'm not here to see who can lift more or who is the strongest. I just want people like you (who have alot more expearance than me) to share info with me on the best way I can add strenth and mass to my bicep's. thank you for the info you've gave me

Old 12-28-2002, 09:17 AM   #8
Merrida
Inactive

Merrida HB User
It's all about technique, and there are many.

If all you have is one set of 85lb db's you are not going to get stronger or build your strength up to 100lb curls.

You need to be able to exhaust and deplete the muscle and that means doing things like drop sets, when the muscle cannot lift 85lbs you need to keep lifting with a lower weight until you're depleted, and lower still. You also need to periodically do 1 rep max testing, which means you need heavier wts too.

DB's are good because they help you focus individually but as you've pointed out, doing 36 reps on one and 27 on another, you'll get uneven...even more so.

You need different weighted db's, and a bar. You need to do different techniques to hit different parts of the bicep if you want big arms. You need to work on the triceps too (since the triceps are responsible for 2/3 of your arm's appearance size, not your biceps). Plus, your forearms (ie: reverse curls).

The more variety you can add to your arm routine, the better chances you have of fully depleting the muscle beyond muscle failure. That is the only way to build size.

They make db's that are -- one set, but within that set you can drop from 100lbs all the way down to 5lbs, by changing pegs. They are awesome, about $120 per set, but as I said, with the movement of a pin, you can alter the weight in each squared db by about 5lbs...making it easy to periodically jack the weight up, or drop it and do drop sets, or pyramid. DB's also permit you to do hammer curls or flat curls, and altering your position from standing, seated or inclined,... altering arm to arm, doing both simultaneously,...

If you curl one arm, relax, and curl the other arm,...which is what most people do, it takes you A LOT LONGER to get results because the arm that is relaxing is recovering. You don't WANT it to relax you want to deplete it.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:33 PM   #9
tommyboy1984

tommyboy1984 HB User
merrida, what is the best way to work your tricep? I was thinking of lowering the bumbell behind my back and pressing it straight up above my head? also Does and one know anything about the bowflex? My friend has one and It dont seem like your lifting as much weight as you put on, i say that because I maxed at 380lbs on my bench with his bowflex. but what do yall think about the resistance on it?

Old 01-03-2003, 07:45 PM   #10
Turnip_Truck

Turnip_Truck HB User
Exclamation

Please Tommyboy write your replies in Microsoft Word, run spellchecker, then cut and paste the message. Your posts are hurting the eyes of the literate. -Thanks!

Old 01-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #11
Shinobi_07

Shinobi_07 HB User
Can anyone reccomend some good dumbell exercise sites? Tips on how to achieve certain part of the arm or how to work them properly?

thx!

Old 01-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #12
Andrew29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Out of curiosity, tommyboy, what is your age and weight? I'm not saying your lying, but a 380lbs bench press on a Bowflex for someone who has no experience in weight training is a kind of unbelievable. Cause professional bodybuilders bench between like 300-500+ free weight do they not...?

Old 01-06-2003, 10:33 PM   #13
PartTwo

PartTwo HB User
How does the weight work on a Bowflex? I dont think I have ever seen one of those, much less use one....just curious thats all!

On an aside...talking about how bodybuilders benching 300-500lbs on free weights...I know Travis Henry the 2nd year running back for the Buffalo Bills benches 425 and he's a little fella..like 5'9 and 220lbs so you can never say never

Old 01-07-2003, 06:40 AM   #14
Andrew29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
I never said that someone who is small isn't a bodybuilder. By bodybuilder, I was just referring to people who spend notable amounts of time working out. I was just saying it seems kinda odd that someone with no weight training experience at all can bench so much.

[This message has been edited by Andrew29 (edited 01-07-2003).]

Old 01-07-2003, 07:22 AM   #15
chitrick

chitrick HB User
If you get some guy who's branded steer and stacked hay his whole life...he might demonstrate tremendous power on the bench, although his technique might be non-existent.

Speaking of pro-ball players... the late Walter Payton #34 of the Bears, was one of their smallest players, yet with the greatest capacity for bench press lifting, of any player on the team.

Closed Thread