It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Gym Idiots.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
    CanadianConvict

CanadianConvict HB User
    Angry Gym Idiots.

Well....we might as well talk about gym idiots and other things that people do to **** you off. Every gym has these jerk-offs.....and I know that most everyone has a story or more. We should talk about them so people know how to avoid them......and how to avoid becoming one of them. If you got a "gym idiot" story post it up....lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2003, 08:02 AM   #2
    CanadianConvict

CanadianConvict HB User
    There's this guy, at my gym, that comes in at least three times a week just to do bench press. He'll do like 7 sets and thats his workout. He always brings in these younger girls, to show off his almighty bench press....ugh. He always pyraminds up to 405lbs and then down to 135lbs. You should see this guy arch his back when hes pressing. Its like hes doing a "bridge"..... This guy couldnt get ten reps at 225lbs if he used proper form.........Plus when hes doing his ..."405lbs"...(cough..cough)......hes got this girl thats 100lbs soaking wet trying to spot him. This guy going to end up hurting himself or worse if that bar comes down on his neck. I hate that guy.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
    glowstix

glowstix HB User
    i don't know about particular individuals but, in general, i hate when people just sit around and wait for you to get off a machine then jump on without asking if you're done or not...most of the time, i turn my back or get off just to stretch or take a 30sec rest between sets and there they go..its annoying!!

Old 01-04-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
    Endorphin Junky
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
    I hate when people sit on a a piece of equipment, see you waiting to use it, but assume that because they're using it it's now "their property". The polite thing to do is to ask if the other person wants to work in between your sets.

[This message has been edited by Endorphin Junky (edited 01-04-2003).]

Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #5
    Endorphin Junky
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
    Other annoyances:
    -People that swing their weights;
    -People that clang their weights;
    -People that bounce their weights off of themselves;
    -People that are there to work their ego, not their muscles;
    -People that sweat all over a piece of equipment and don't wipe it down when they're done;
    -People that read newspapers/books while working out;
    -Gym instructors that allow people to carry on working out in a way in which they're obviously going to hurt themselves;

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now...

Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
    chitrick

chitrick HB User
    How about people in general, who don't have the ability, courtesy or desire to acknowledge another's "hello...how ya doin today". Don't get me wrong...I don't go to the club to socialize. But what ever happened to common everyday social skills?

Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
    H8CC
    Veteran

H8CC HB User
    i overheard this one guy talking to his spotter bout how he just recovered from shoulder surgury. He was saying he injured it while bench pressing but couldnt figure out why, after all "my form is perfect". he then proceeded to do a set, at super speed, bouncing it off his chest.
    and of course the people who do 20 sets of curls super setted with 20 sets of bench.
    at least its amusing
    H8CC

Old 01-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
    Toxik
    (male)

Toxik HB User
    I really dont have too many annoyances. The gyms I have worked out at, the people may not know what they're doing but they're all courteous (wipe down equipment, ask before they can work in, let you work in if they notice you standing nearby, offer advice, are open to advice etc). Most of the time, Im focused on one thing and one thing only - me and my workout. Dont really pay attention to others too much, just go in and do my thing.

------------------
    ~J Siv~

Old 01-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #9
    CanadianConvict

CanadianConvict HB User
    I hate the guy that would rather talk than workout. One time he approached me halfway through my superset and screwed it up. If you have to talk to someone at least wait until they are resting.......

Old 01-04-2003, 07:39 PM   #10
    Lifthard33

Lifthard33 HB User
    How about the idiot that asks you how many sets you have left on the bench...WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SET!!!

Old 01-04-2003, 11:54 PM   #11
    Griffy
    Inactive

Griffy HB User
    I had a guy confront me this week, asking questions in aspects to proper form & how to build certain muscles. So I told him to follow me around and I would show him the ropes as I do my routine. Keep in mind this guy is about 5'10/260LB's. He kept saying he is 'DETERMINED' to loose weight. I was happy for him.

After I was done, he was too and we ended up chatting about health, working out etc. etc. Left the gym at the same time. He had a very distinctive car, 2000 Lincoln Navigator with customized chrome rims & flames painted on the hood. Something of which I would definitely notice on the road.

Anyway, after we left, I had to go to the health store and buy some more protein. Across the street was Burger King. Guess whose car was at the drive thru!? Yeah you guessed it! Mr. I want to loose weight, I'm not going to stop until I loose it, I'm going to start eating healthy no matter what!

I was disgusted!

Old 01-05-2003, 12:53 AM   #12
    awds

awds HB User
    hahaha. but isnt that part of it ? eatin alot ? thats how you gain weight . i get hungry after working out and eat alot then work out some more.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:22 AM   #13
    Endorphin Junky
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
    If you want to gain muscle, yes you need to eat alot, but that doesn't mean big macs and whoppers. You'll probably put on some muscle eating these, but you're gonna put on more fat than muscle. You need to eat alot but still eat healthily. Besides, if you want to lose weight, you don't want to be eating lots. You need to eat less than you burn.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:49 AM   #14
    CanadianConvict

CanadianConvict HB User
    I hate the way the gym is always crowded after the new year. Just because i know that half of these newbies (probably more) will end up quiting in a week or less. I mean.....its good that they are there, but going to the gym is a lifestyle change, not some fad that comes once a year. Lets get commited people!

Old 01-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #15
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    I can't stand it when people use the weight machines like a piece of cardio equipment. Has anyone else ever seen these people who will sit on the same piece of equipment for 20 minutes or more, doing quick pulses with very low weights? I see it most on the abductor and adductor machines for the legs, and it's not just women -- men do it too. What's up with that? There are usually dozens of open treadmills, stairmasters, elliptical trainers and whatnot. This is so selfish I can't stand it.

Also, I hate it when people "mark their territory" by slinging their towel over a piece of equipment while they get a drink, go to the bathroom, or try to pick up a chick. Then after I have been eyeing the machine for 20 minutes and finally try to sneak in a quick set, they come back. If I'm lucky, they will ask me how long I'm going to be using it and then stand by and monitor me while I nervously complete half of my intended reps and then scurry off in shame. If I'm not lucky, they come over and wave their towel and me and say "Hey, I'm on this machine." Amazing.

Otherwise, it doesn't really bother me what people do in terms of their individual work-out. I see a lot of people doing things that really aren't going to do them any good, but as long as they aren't holding me up or interfering with anyone else, I don't let it get to me.

------------------
    Cheryl

Closed Thread