It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Calf & Ankle pain during running / jogging

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
    kmagu
    (male)

kmagu HB User
    Calf & Ankle pain during running / jogging

Hello everyone, I'm new to this board and this is my first post!

I'm a 24 year old male, 5'8'' 220lbs and I've been having some issues with running for a while. So here's some history:

I never used to be too active while growing up, but when I was in high school I was on the football team and I did a lot of excersize (twice a day during 3 months of summer, once a day during the academic year). The first year I was able to easly run without any pain and the only thing that slowed me down was my weight and hard of breathing. Starting the second season I started to get exruciating pain in my lower calf / ankle area after running for about 5~10 minutes and since then I had a very hard time completing just one mile without stopping and walking. When I was done running, the pain was still there and it hurt like hell to stay standed up, and it hurt more on the outer edges of my foot. This could have been due to uncomfortable cleats I had to wear, but other suggestions welcome!

So anyways, that was 6~7 years ago. Since then I'd excersize on and off. Lately I had just gotten my cholesterol checked and I've been more concerened with my health. I do have a messed up eating habit and I'll address that issue at a different location on the board, but my main point is that I don't want this type of pain to unmotivate me from exersizing.

Recently I started running again, and the pain still continues. I'm wearing very comfortable running shoes, and I do not have any pains when I go on an elliptical in the gym (but I do on a treadmill). I've searched through the board and it was suggested that people need time to get the muscles there trained, but looking back, I had that pain before and after running for months it never went away. Does anyone know of such symptoms and any suggestions to reduce or get rid of this pain? Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
    cjammom
    Inactive
    (female)

cjammom HB User
    Re: Calf & Ankle pain during running / jogging

Hi Kmagu, I coached elementary and Junior high school track for 7yrs..It sounds to me that you arent stretching at all/or enough..You need to do specific warmups for the calf muscles..like push the wall..and you need to do about 20minutes of stretching befoe you run..you also have to make sure that you stretch when you are finished!
    You havent said exactly where your experiencing pain..just mentioned the outer part of your foot..that can definitely be from ill fitting footwear.
    If the pain is in the front of your lower legs you may have shin splints.
    Some symptoms would include:tenderness over the inside of the shin,lower leg pain,lumps and bumps over the bone, pain when the toes or foot are bent downwards or redness over the inside of the shin. Rest would be important, ice can help, wearing proper footwear, non weight bearing exercises may also help..or you might try some Physical Therapy.
    I wish you well..
    I hope things work out for you...
    keep me posted okay?
    cj.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
    kmagu
    (male)

kmagu HB User

I think you may be right on the not stretching enough part. I usually just stretch for 2~3 minutes, where I pull back one leg at a time standing up, and also I benforward with one leg to stretch out the other's achilles.
    As far as the pain, currently it's around my lower calf, and it seems a little hard to "pin point" where it exactly is. I'll try stretching and see what happens. Thank you!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
    cjammom
    Inactive
    (female)

cjammom HB User

Your very welcome..
    Stop by when you can, let me know how you are doing Okay?
    happy stretching!!
    cj

Closed Thread