It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Gym Idiots Part 2 - Gym Annoyances...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2003, 06:35 AM   #1
    AEMT-CC

AEMT-CC HB User
    Post Gym Idiots Part 2 - Gym Annoyances...

We have covered the 'Gym Idiots" thread, now I want to start a new one. Other then people who act like idiots, what generally pisses you off while at the gym? Any particular days where something happened?

I have a few, I'll start off with one.

When I work out, my muscles become full. My biceps go from 16 1/2 to 17 1/4, my chest just looks like balloons, etc., etc. I once had a guy confront me and ask if I was on steroids. When I told him I wasn't, he didn't believe me. It ****** me off beyond belief. It's like basically saying "You don't have what it takes to do things the hard way, your lazy. You need a drug to make things easy for you."
    For the majority, weightlifting is a harmless past time. But for the elite, it's a grueling ritual. It incorporates pain as it's own divine reward. It sees no amount of crushing dedication as too great a sacrifice and never fails to render results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 08:50 AM   #2
    evil316
    Inactive

evil316 HB User
    I'm totally against steriod use but you can look at the steriod comment as both good and bad. Of course it would **** you off to hear that comment and someone thinking you took a drug to get big but on the other hand it can be taken as a compliment that you've worked so hard through natural means that someone thinks you had to take steriods to get there or that you even look good enough to have the steriod comment made. In any case a persons perception of the truth doesn't change the truth.

One thing that kind of annoys me is when someone is using a certain machine or bench and I ask how much longer they will be on it and they get all worried that I'm moving in on their stuff and say they will hurry up and finish and maybe they just got done with a set and do the next one real fast right away. I always tell them to please take their time and I'll go do something else. That I just wanted to know how long they'd be is all. I hate to be rushed when I'm at the gym and I hate it when people make me feel like I've rushed them when I've been very nice too them and told them to please not rush their routine.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
    CanadianConvict

CanadianConvict HB User
    Gym Idiots
    Copyright [1200BC-2003AD] by [CanadainConvict]
    All Rights Reserved...May not be used without his explicted consent.

Just kidding....I'm sure we'll have another three page document. Ugh...we must find cages for these animals.

Old 02-09-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
    Stabmaster Arson
    Inactive

Stabmaster Arson HB User
    I was at the gym today and I saw probably saw the biggest idiot I've ever seen there. This rather large (I mean hefty and flabby guy) did a few exercises filling the bars up with plates to the end. What really made me mad is he sat on each seat for about 10 minutes, didn't do one rep properly, and went to the next without taking the weights off.

Old 02-09-2003, 09:22 PM   #5
    bmxryan

bmxryan HB User
    dude i would lie to them and say yes lol.

I'm that kind of person though i do all kinds of crap to throw people off.

Like the other day i bought a pack of cigg's for my friend and i was talking to the lady at the front desk and i said. "i cant wait for my addiction to kick in!" and she was like UHH

THen i asked her how long it would take to get addicted all these old people were like DONT START ITS BAD DONT START. I told them my friends did it so i wanted to start. It was funny, i do all kinds of stuff like that just to make myself laugh.

I'm strange

i think smoking is nasty and i would never ever ever do it by the way i think its so dumb.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
    evil316
    Inactive

evil316 HB User
    About a week ago I go into the gym on a Saturday (real slow day for this gym). All I want to do is some squats and straightlegged deadlifts. I walk into the weight room with the squat rack and the place to do deadlifts and to my amazement there are only 2 people in the entire gym and one is doing squats and the other is doing deadlifts. What luck! Needless to say I just kind of hung out and did some calf exercises until they finished. Just thought it was funny that with only 2 people in the gym using the weights they happened to be doing the exact thing I wanted to do.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:56 PM   #7
    Endorphin Junky
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
    At the gym today, some guy asks me to spot him chest pressing 80kg. He then struggles to get 3 reps out, where after the first rep I was taking most of the weight to stop him asphyxiating himself. He then re-racks (or rather I did) and then accuses me of not spotting him enough!! And I wasn't planning on doing any deadlifts till Thursday. If you can't lift the weight, why not just lift less??? No one's impressed by an ego trainer and it's certinly not gonna help you get any bigger, so why bother?!?

Old 02-10-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
    Burgowin

Burgowin HB User
    I'm a senior in high school and only work out with weights with other people at the school's gym, which isn't bad.

Anyways, this one goofy looking black kid, probably a junior, was doing some pullup variation exercise. I'm not sure of the name but you use a pullup bar and put your hands facing opposite directions and then pull yourself up on the left side, then the right side and repeat. Well, he does like 4 reps without going down all the way and not going slowly at all on the negative portion of the reps. He then gets off the bar, walks over to his friend and says he is following the "Thug Workout" that he read about somewhere. I had to cut my deadlift set short that was so funny.

Old 02-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #9
    evil316
    Inactive

evil316 HB User
    The Thug workout, huh? Personally I like the Mofo workout best.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #10
    AEMT-CC

AEMT-CC HB User
    "Goofy looking black kid"?
    Was his being black relevant to the overall point of your post? - Sorry, I'm not black but I'm just curious as to why you pointed it out.

Anyway, I'm really curious...Has anyone actually met someone at the gym? Maybe led to a nice relationship or anything? Any 'Love' stories?
    For the majority, weightlifting is a harmless past time. But for the elite, it's a grueling ritual. It incorporates pain as it's own divine reward. It sees no amount of crushing dedication as too great a sacrifice and never fails to render results.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:27 PM   #11
    evil316
    Inactive

evil316 HB User
    Falling in love at the gym? Yeah, "gym annoyances" is a great topic to post that under for sure! hahaha!

Old 02-10-2003, 10:37 PM   #12
    evil316
    Inactive

evil316 HB User
    So let me get this straight. Are you saying it was OK for him to call him "goofy looking" but saying he was "black" was not relevant? Or was it "goofy" and "black" that made it that way? We wouldn't want anyone to tell a story and paint a clear vivid picture, would we? We must teach our youth to leave out any reference to race at all times. Gimme a freaking break! Racism didn't even enter my mind reading that post. I don't know how it could anyone else's mind who see's all races as equal.

Old 02-11-2003, 12:40 AM   #13
    justanotherday
    Inactive

justanotherday HB User
    i was gonna put this under the original gym idiots thread but i thought maybe it would be better suited in a newer thread. Anyway maybe somebody has already posted something like this but i can't stand those guys that get all constipated towards the ends of their sets and gotta start yelling and grunting at the top of their lungs making sure the entire gym here's them so we all will turn around and admire the amount of weight they are lifting. I mean its ok and perfectly natural to make some sort of sound or grunt as you get fatigued. That's cool. But i am talking about these macho guys wanting to show off by screaming as loud as they can so people will stop what they are doing to look at them and their sweaty heaving muscles. Gimme a break

Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 AM   #14
    AEMT-CC

AEMT-CC HB User
    You think if the boy was white he would have said "Some goofy looking WHITE kid"? I doubt it!

("I don't know how it could anyone else's mind who see's all races as equal.")

Exactly - If they are all equal, why make it vividly clear that the kid was black? Was there a need to point it out? No! - It's not relevant!

If James is referred to as "James", then he is James.
    If James it referred to as "James, the goofy looking black kid" then we have crossed the line and made it clear that he is black, even though that information would not matter if all races are equal. Will it make him any different then a white kid? NO! because James is still James. - James maybe goofy, but him being black does not matter now does it!? It's pointless information!

It's like saying "My boss is cool, he just gave me a huge raise in pay. Did I mention my boss is black?"

Old 02-11-2003, 12:59 AM   #15
    justanotherday
    Inactive

justanotherday HB User
    lol bro get over it already maybe he wanted to give us a clearer picture of what the kid looked like so we can picture it in our heads better. To me it made the story funnier when he said some goofy looking black kid i was picturing urkel(the skinny nerdy kid from family matters) who read somewhere about a new "thug workout" so he wants to become strong and buff like a thug. If you were reading a novel would it be much fun reading it without adjectives to describe people?

Closed Thread