It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• training for 6 mile run...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
    kjlm1971
    (female)

kjlm1971 HB User
    Smile training for 6 mile run...help

Last night my sister and I decided to start training for a 6 mile race that takes place on July 4! Neither of us are runners, any training suggestions? We only have 14 weeks to get ready! Myself, I am not concerned about our time but just being able to complete the race is my goal!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
    kjlm1971
    (female)

kjlm1971 HB User
    So yesterday was our first day running- I have never ran more than 1/4 mile in my life- we ran 1 1/4 and walked 1 3/4. I am sore today but not in my muscles in my hip joints and lower back. How much distance should we add every week? and how many times should we train a week? I didn't feel physically tired while we were running but I was having a very hard time breathing

Old 03-27-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
    Omskakas

Omskakas HB User
    I started running few years ago like you did now. I hadn't been running for years and then suddenly I decided to start running.

From my experience I found first week to be the hardest. I had sore legs, difficulties to breath and blood was tasting in my mouth. But at the second week I started to see quick results: I could run about a mile without resting in between and without having incredible pains!

But you seem to be in better shape than I was. You said that you had hard time breathing. When you start doing aerobic training your (sorry, don't know the exact english term) "capasity to take oxygen" will increase quickly as your lungs and blood circulation systems get better and muscle cells increase amount of mithocondrios(sp?) in them.

When I started to breathe more easily the next "bottle neck" were my quads and calves. It took me something like 2 years of regular running to build calves strong enough to run 10 kilometers (about that 6 miles) without resting. But as I said, I was in really bad shape and I seem not to have "right genes" for running i.e. by no means I'm "a natural athlete".

How often and how you should train then? First, I think that you shouldn't train if your muscles are still sore or you might overtrain them. If your only goal is to be able to run 6 miles, I would add some distance every time you feel like you could add some distance. Sounds stupid but that's how I trained running: I either increased speed (for the next time)or distance if I felt like running after I've completed my goal that day.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
    kjlm1971
    (female)

kjlm1971 HB User
    Today we were able to run 3 miles without stopping and walked 1/4 mile to warm up and again 1/4 mile to cool down.

It seems that at the beginning of the week I do not have the oomph to run, 4 days ago I couldn't run a full mile (my lungs hurt really bad!) But today I was able to complete 3 miles?
    I read about exercise induced asthma, anyone experience this?

Also it was recommended that we start running twice a day. Since our goal is 6.2 miles we should run 3 in the morning and as much as possible in the afternoon until we work up to 3 miles (then work on getting up to 4 miles in the am, 2 miles in the pm then to 5 miles in the am 1 miles in the pm and so on until we can get to 6.2 miles in the am? Is this a good idea?

Old 05-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #5
    darkwolfofvoid
    Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
    unless you have some kind of physical mechanical (joint) problem that you're actually going to fall apart, and your body does actually store carbs (we all do!) You can complete a 6 mile run NOW, this very instant. Just remember, you don't always have to run fast. Running twice a day is good, but only if you're really advanced (just like weight lifting twice a day). If you're up for it, sure, go for it, but don't overtrain and kill yourself the next day

at least once during the week, do some kind of speed training that really works your anerobic (without oxygen) endurance. This is doing sprints or the like. You can also look up things like fartlek runs which are an added fun thing to put into your training.

I suggest this because as you run, especially at faster paces, you'll start to push against your "aerobic threshold" in which case, you'll stop using primarely your aerobic endurance (breathing in, breathing out, still being able to function) and start building lactic acid in your muscles (that burning sensation, especially in anerobic training, but also, usually that vomit, chest burning feeling too). When this happens, your body has to be able to remove that lactic acid and recover correct? Well, the best training for that is intervals. You do a short distance, very fast (anerobic) and then stop for a set amount of time (20-30 seconds say). This forces your body to adapt by being able to pushout the amount of acid you built up, in that set amount of time. Now you can increase the amount by running more distance and then keeping that set recovery duration, or force your body to be able to push out that amount at a shorter duraction by changing the recovery period. Changing around your intervals by distance and recovery is a great way to keep the training "fresh" as well as keep your body from becoming to "relaxed" at a set training method (variability).

Also, with this sports induced asthma, I have a mild case of it, well, i just have it, but training keeps it under wraps. I never use an inhaler, never have, never will. My lungs are just fine and my body capable of adapting, so I trained my lungs by running. You just have to punch through the obsticals that get in your way But the idea here is to improve your aerobic endurance, running is the best because it really pushes your heart and lungs to new levels as you progress in your training. The best way to do this is to run for 60+ minutes at a low intensity (look up intensities and heart rate zones and research), thus you'll be completely in your aerobic endurance area, and really shouldn't get that tired once your metabolism and what not get set in a nice pattern for running at that speed/intensity. Of course no one is a car and can hold at one set speed, you'll run slower and faster, even breaking your aerobic threshold at spots here and there, but all in all, you'll keep aerobic and train that energy system, and improve your lung capacity and your running ability.

And as I mentioned fartleks before, it's basically like doing a long distance run (or a pretty fast speed run) and added times of hightened speed segments. The best one is variable, just running down the street, see a lamp post, sprint until you reach it, then return to your previous jogging pace, and continue doing that as you see different objects to spot a distance. So you may be sprinting for 20 meters or 100 meters, but it's great for inducing that lactic acid (the burn!) by pushing your anerobic endurance, and then while you're returning to your jogging speed (or as you train, you find your 'race speed') and this will now train your body to recover from breaking that aerobic threshold, while you run, so as you run, you don't slow down because you're building lactic acid.

So, in all this training, you should be able to blow through a 6 mile run at a simple low intensity pace. Just remember, start off slow! Don't push off at a higher speed, you'll burn out before you're ready to push yourself in the race. Your metabolism will get set as you start off slow (unless you did a great warmup right before), but toward the end of the race, you'll be ready to push everything you have. You can also look up stories on "the wall" in marathon or distance running, which is what i'm talking about here.

But yeah, you'll make your 6 mile run, I suggest training for a marathon. Sound like too much? It's not! Before I began my marathon training class (which was way too short!) I was only able to run for 3 miles. I learned a lot in class and my own researching, and in three months, not even running in my training for anything more than 2 hours, I completed a marathon.

I believe you can make it and a smaller race like this will be perfect for getting you ready. Once you make it, try a 12k (7+ mile run), and a half marathon (13.1 mile), as well as try other 10ks

Old 05-11-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
    darkwolfofvoid
    Inactive

darkwolfofvoid HB User
    And i gave a lot of in depth info, as for a simple routine, try doing speed work (anerobic endurance training) once a week, or every 4, 5 days. Sometimes 3 days apart, sometimes 6,7 days apart, just depends on how hard you trained. Speed work is very stressful to the body and rest is very much a component of getting fit. Note, when I say rest, I don't mean sitting on your behind :-P Your rest is rest from doing speed work! lol Then do at least one to three days during the week on long distance, low intensity jogs as I explained in my previous post. This is the main component of your run, as you are running for distance right now, not speed or time. But we only filled four days tops during the week (1 day speed, 3 days max long distance). So what about the other days? at least one day of complete rest is good, if you're going to take two days off (especially in a row) then you better do some kind of physical activity, biking, swimming are recommended (especially as a push interest toward triathlons hehe ). note that when I say long distance, I mean you're going a distance and a duration that pushes the length of the one before it! When you go out, set a time or distance (preferablly a time), and go run aerobically until you've met that time (or more). I recommend trying to just go for an hour, if you can't do it, walk a lil bit, but try to keep moving, even if you're jogging at a snails pace lol (which i did on my first hour run!) From then, try an hour 10, an hour 20 min, and progress! This too is stressful, don't overtrain, don't do it too often if you can't handle it. The other days, just do an active cardio. Biking, swimming, or running for say 30 min (or for distance like 2, 3, 4, 5 mile runs or try a light fartlek).

There, that's my advice

Closed Thread