It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• skinny guy needs help gaining weight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
    Omar

Omar HB User
    Post skinny guy needs help gaining weight

Hi I have a problem...
    I am desperately trying to gain weight, not only for sports but it will help me feel better about myself. I am a really skinny guy, 5'8 130lbs
    That is really skinny
    I was wondering how i could add between 2-4 inches to my shoulders, about 38 inches now and about 4 inches to my waist that is about 28 inches....
    That's how skinny I am
    Please help, give me any tips you have.
    I will do whatever it takes, whether it is gaining muscle or fat. I just want to get rid of the skinny look. I'd say i'd be satisfied with 20 lbs but that is a little far fetched so maybe 10 lbs and the increase in my waistline and shoulders would help for now. I also have really skinny arms and legs as you can imagine...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
    cali99boy

cali99boy HB User
    I agree. I'm 5'6 and used to weigh 130lbs. I guess thats not as bad as you. I started lifting weights and drinking protein shakes. 2 a day at 40grams of protein each time. I also started eating like crazy, good foods only.

I take Designey Whey. Its been almost a year right now, and I'm at 150lbs. This seems to be a good weight for my height, lol, I feel a little chubby. But I'm still trying to bulk up to like 170lbs then cutting back to 160lbs.

Trust me, you can do this. I weighed 115lbs when I graduated high school, yea, I was real skinny. Its been 4 years now, but only been working out for 2 years total with 1 year inside the gym.

Its possible. The main thing is to start working out. I think I started gaining 1lb a month just by working out and eating a little more. When I got serious, with the protein shakes and what not and starting to go to a gym, instead of free weights at home, then the pounds started coming in.

Its hard work, mind you. I have a small frame and could be considered a heavy gainer, but I persisted. If you really want to get bigger, you will

Old 07-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #3
    Snaeke
    Inactive

Snaeke HB User
    I'm 5'11 and weighed 150 lb.(which is pretty skinny) before I started working out. I'm near the end of my 10th week of weight training and weigh 170 lb. heh, so far I've gained about 20 lb.

I don't do speed reps or anything like that. I do 3x11 reps on each exercise. On each rep I keep proper form and take about 4 seconds to complete each one. I also try to take in 1 gram of protein(has the BCAA's in it) for every pound of body weight.

------------------
    -Snaeke
    "I may be fat, but I most certainly carry more weight around than your narrow butt everyday." -phat food for thought

Old 07-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
    Rixtar

Rixtar HB User
    If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions regarding your health and medical history.

How old are you?

Have you ever been on antibiotics for more than one time or for longer than 10 days?

The reason I'm asking the second question deals with nutrition absoption and the effects of antibiotics on the important bacteria that are responsible for the proper absorption of nutrients from food.

If you have a history of antibiotic therapy then, I would suggest that seek the advice of a naturpathic doctor to make sure that what you are eating is actually going to work for your body.

Old 07-18-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
    mustangbuff03

mustangbuff03 HB User
    i know what it feels like man...becuz i'm 5'10" and i weigh 130! i definitely don't have skinny arms cuz i've been lifting for quite a while but i still have the thin frame going cuz i have a hard time staying committed to eating. it has been worse, lol, b4 i ever lifted i was prolly still 5'10" and only 120 (*face turns red*)

but yeah, u need to start lifting, and even if u don't eat a lot u will still tone your body nicely and while u still may be skinny, you won't look near as bad. that's exactly what happened to me, becuz while i am still skinny, people still notice how toned my body and arms are and i still get compliments for my biceps! hehe...so don't get frustrated...it will just take a lot of work to get there. i also take protein supplements...so try those, 1 serving immediately after u work out. also eat snacks b4 u go to bed...i figured out a great bedtime snack to gain weight: crackers and peanut butter w/milk. i usually have 8 "sandwiches" (16 crackers w/peanut butter between pairs of them), and use tons of peanut butter in there, and 3 cups of milk. this comes out to 800 calories and 40 grams of protein! and since u said u wouldn't care if u gained fat, it also comes out to i think it was 50 grams of fat, like 90% of the daily value. so there's an idea for a good bedtime snack that should help u gain weight. good luck!

Old 07-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
    Toxik
    (male)

Toxik HB User
    Eat at least 6 meals a day and at least 3500 calories. Don't spend too much time in the gym, 4 days a week, 1 hr a session, primarily compound exercises (4 days split), protein shakes and possibly a weightgainer. I was 5'8" (no socks or shoes) and 115 lbs. Now, almost three years later, I'm around 5'9" 155lbs. However, it's really easy for newbies to gain weight quick. Its just after the first yr or so you start hittting plateuas and start having to work a lot harder for additional weight.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:37 AM   #7
    Omar

Omar HB User
    Thanks a lot this helps me out quite a bit
    I know it will take a lot of work
    I would say about now I eat around 1800 calories a day
    I know it is not enough
    I have a hard time finding time to eat 3 meals
    6 will be tough but I am willing to try it

To answer that question about my age and antibiotics
    I have not been taking them, and I am 17 years old

Closed Thread