It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Everyone says drink a lot of water, but then I get diarrhea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
    Jason27
    (male)

Jason27 HB User
    Everyone says drink a lot of water, but then I get diarrhea

I noticed while dieting if I eat less and drink a lot of water, going to the restroom gives me diarrhea to a point where it hurts. Not only that but if I do not eat a lot of food and drink a lot of water I sometimes do not feel healthy. I also do not understand how people say drink lots of water to lose weight, and when you look up information on how to gain weight it says drink more water as well. On average I probably drink about (5) 7oz bottles of Deer Park water per day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Re: Everyone says drink a lot of water, but then I get diarrhea

Jason27,

The advice to drink more water is highly over-prescribed. I suggest you listen to your body. You are getting lots of moisture from your foods (unless your diet consists of nothing but dried bread), and if drinking all that excess water causes you problems, then you have my permission (which of course you don't need ) to cut back to a quantity that you feel more comfortable with.

--Rheanna

Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User

Drinking a lot of water should *not* cause diarrhea. Excessive urination, sure, but you may have some kind of intestinal issue if that's what happens to you. I drink upwards of a gallon a day and do not have that problem. Of course you don't want to be drinking a lot if that's the result, but you should definitely talk to your doctor. Particularly with the other symptoms you're describing.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
    Jason27
    (male)

Jason27 HB User

Thanks for the replies I don't have these problems when I eat normally and drink less water. Only when I try to only limit myself to subway sandwiches and drinking a lot of water is when this occurs.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User

It still may be cause for concern. Obviously you can manage it through diet, but please do mention it to your doc next time you're in.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

How many calories are you eating when you try drinking more water? Maybe you aren't eating enough and the water is too much for that amount of calories. I would say to listen to your body, as suggested. I don't always get to drink TONS of water b/c I will feel so full of water that I feel like I will pop! That's no good! I also have to drink a little bit at a time. I am a college student and one time I drank a bottle very quickly before class and had to get up during a guest lecturer's presentation (and felt very rude!) 3 times to go to the restroom and it was an emergency each time! Goodness!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
    quarters
    (male)

quarters HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jason27 View Post
    On average I probably drink about (5) 7oz bottles of Deer Park water per day.
    35 ounces of water per day..? You must be very thirty right now Recommended intake is 2-3 liters, or 9-11 bottles.

Closed Thread