It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• exercise to help anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
    wishsong
    (female)

wishsong HB User
    exercise to help anxiety?

Hi I have been suffering from anxiety and poor sleep due to stress at work. Things are improving and I want to start exercising however I am confused as to how much and what type!! I want to do aerobic exercise and yoga and also have relaxation time. should I do alternate days yoga and aerobic, or can I follow an aerobic session with yoga so I do both each day? Then where do I fit in the guided relaxation - before or after exercise?
    Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
    thaliak
    Veteran
    (female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
    Re: exercise to help anxiety?

Hi there!
    You are right! Exercising to control anxiety is THE correct course of action.
    I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the last four years and the only thing that helps me control and actually improve my situation is regular exercise.
    I find that step or aerobics 4-5 times a week for an hour helps me have a positive outlook on life, feel happier, healthier and more in control of my life and my body. I do not need any relaxation afterwards because I find that I am already relaxed after all this exercise and I sleep very well at night too!
    But I have also heard that yoga helps with relaxation if people do not want to do strenuous aerobic exercise.
    So, just ry and see what helps you most. However, I do know from my experience that exercise is the best form of physical control to anxiety and stress.
    Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
    Bengie
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bengie HB User

this is what helps me

Cardio - 30min
    weight lifting (3 tiems a week)
    relax in the whirlpool or sauna after (which ever the gym has or isn't to crowded)

No matter how bad a day I had, I always feel better after doing this.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
    Pickles Pig
    (male)

Pickles Pig HB User

Cardio has been a big help for me. I treadmill @ 5.5 mph for one hour, 5 days per week (3 days then rest 1 day, 2 days then rest 1 day). I also do crunches and push up every other day. I am very tired at bedtime and I sleep very well all night long.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
    wishsong
    (female)

wishsong HB User

Thanks for all your replies.
    It sounds like I should be sticking to cardio, so I'll give it a go. I'm not able to get to the gym, but have several step and tae bo dvd's at home that I can do. Perhaps I'll do yoga just on a Sunday, instead of trying to do everything!
    Thanks again

Closed Thread