It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Advice needed about a good cardio routine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Advice needed about a good cardio routine

Hi everyone,
    I am new posting in this fitness forum. I am female, 52, and full of spinal issues. I was riding a recumbent exercise bike for about the last 14 months and loving it. I had a 2 level neck fusion 2 months before I started the bike (Jan. '07). I tried the treadmill and it killed my upper back and traps. It made them even tighter than they already were. I have since heard its too much impact for me now. So that is when the exercise bike started. Well a few months after starting the bike I noticed my lower back and Sacroiliac Joint on my right side started killing me. I kept riding because I attributed the pain to an ice fall I had in 2000. Well it is 10 times worse now and I think I really ruined my pelvis worse now. Now the lower back is an issue (and the butt). No Dr. or PT seems to think it could be aggravating the sacrum, but I know it is. So now I just joined Aquacize classes 5 times a week. I know they are good for my joints, but its not veyr challenging at all for me. So I am trying the Elliptical machine now. I don't know why but I can hardly do more than 10 mins on it right now. I guess the recumbent bike was a lot less challenging aerobically. I could do that on a high level for 40 mins at a time. Any advice would be appreciated. Do you think I should just go slowly and just build up (which I hope i can do)? I am really running out of aerobic options. Do you think that Aquacize is worth anything aerobically????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
    scorpiolover
    (male)

scorpiolover HB User
    Re: Advice needed about a good cardio routine

Wow, sorry to hear about all of your health issues.

My two cents. First, when you're not use to a new machine (or new exercise), it will be more challenging at first.... your body has to get accustomed to the new training stimulus... meaning it's trying to make new neuromuscular connections and use different (perhaps unused and weaker) muscle fibers. So yeah, I'm sure you'll be able to work up to it eventually.

Also, your form while doing cardio can have a lot to do with how fast you fatigue. Be sure to use good efficient form when moving.

Also, do you weight train? I don't know if your doctor is against it or not.... but the discomfort or pain you experience during cardio work may be due to muscle imbalance. Meaning muscles are moving (or pulling) your joints and bones into a position that is aggravated when doing long duration repetitive movements (such as when doing cardio)

Another thing I may suggest is a a thorough static stretching program. This will help with any tightness you may be experiencing and help to alleviate some of your pain. Always, do stretching when your body is warmed up, like at the end of a cardio session.

Finally, massage is always good for your muscles, bones, joint, and connective tissue. You should give that a shot, too.

That's it... I hope this helps!

Closed Thread