It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• jogging getting worse...??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
    ssarch463
    (male)

ssarch463 HB User
    jogging getting worse...??

Ive been jogging every other day or two days for the past weeks, but still cant even make it half a mile, in fact Id say that its harder now than it was when I started.

Im 6'2" about 245lbs, and I stretch before jogging, yet I still get intense pain in my shins, calves, and feet about 5 min into jogging, not to mention my breathing gets very hard about then as well.

This is all very strange for me, as I used to be in decent shape and played a few different sports, but after a knee replacement Ive never been able to get back even close to where I was.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: jogging getting worse...??

You have a knee replacement?

Do not go jogging, ever! Didn't your surgeon tell you? Running and jumping put a very heavy load on the artificial joint, and wear it out much faster. If there's a guy with a knife chasing you, that is the only time you should run.

Walk, swim, use a bicycle or an elliptical trainer. Use free weights or exercise machines. Play golf. All of these can help you lose weight, have more energy, and get stronger and healthier. Don't run.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
    ssarch463
    (male)

ssarch463 HB User

whoops! sorry that was a type-o...it was supposed to read ACL knee replacement...not joint replacement

Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, you had ACL repair, rather than joint replacement. Different story.

You still might do better starting off with something lower-impact, and then trying jogging once you start getting into better shape.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
    ssarch463
    (male)

ssarch463 HB User

It still doesnt make sense that Im having such trouble...even after my surgery (3 years ago now) I was able to get back into decent shape, though never where I was...but then I lost it for about a year and a half and now this...

I am going to start cycling, at least on a stationary bike, next week and see how that improves things. I guess im just THAT bad out of shape...

Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, try the biking. Give it a few sessions, see how far you can get without overextending to the point of potentially harming yourself. If getting back into shape is just not happening, then see a doctor.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
    ssarch463
    (male)

ssarch463 HB User

ill do that...Im going to try cycling 20-30 min 4x a week (M-Th), is that a decent proposal?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Do you think it's the surgery itself that caused this? Or the time out you had from working out?

Jogging used to be very difficult for me... I've found different things to make it work for me and I've gotten much better with it. First of all, take care of the easy things. Make sure you have GOOD running shoes. That is the one kind of show I'll spend more on. It makes a difference. I also highly recommend some good gel insoles with arch support. I used to have ankle pain from running, bought some $8 Dr. Scholl's supports and it never happened again. Get them!

If you jog outside, try a track or traedmill instead. The ground can be very hard and can just be tough on you. I actually don't run outside much at all. My allergies act up, it's too hot here in Texas, and for some reason I get any itchy rash on my legs if I run outside.

Lastly, if all else fails, just try alternating between walking and jogging. Intervals are good to do anyway! Or just jog even slower and slowly build your way back up. It takes time for sure! Also, be sure to drink plenty of water and have a good protein-rich snack if you don't already.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssarch463 View Post
    It still doesnt make sense that Im having such trouble...even after my surgery (3 years ago now) I was able to get back into decent shape, though never where I was...but then I lost it for about a year and a half and now this...

I am going to start cycling, at least on a stationary bike, next week and see how that improves things. I guess im just THAT bad out of shape...
    You can always try alternating the cycling with slow jogging until you build up more strength. I also like to do leg exercises (like lunges, for example) to build more muscle. It seems to make running a bit easier for me... I just always do these AFTER running or I won't be able to jog for long at all.

PS, I forgot to mention in my above post that when I first started jogging, I would aim to just go for 5 minutes without slowing down, then later on 10 minutes, and slowly added on more. Try to set small goals you can work towards. OR use jogging as a warm up before biking or another exercise, so you don't have to stick wth it long. Little bits of it at a time will likely get easier after a while.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
    ssarch463
    (male)

ssarch463 HB User

Ill give some of that a try! Thanks for all the help!

Closed Thread