It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• building muscle vs weight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
    MikaelasMommy
    (female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
    Smile building muscle vs weight

Hi everyone! Been a while since I've posted on here. Anyways, I have been exercising faithfully for almost 4 weeks and eating healthy. I briskly walk/jog and strength train 6 days a week. I give myself one day a week to rest. Ok, at first I wasn't seeing the scale move at all. And I know I need to throw that thing out and not pay attention to it cuz it can be discourging. But at last, I've dropped a few lbs. But the big difference is the way my clothes feel. I can look in the mirror and also see more definition and tone. Ok, my question is since I'm building muscle mass that I haven't had before like when I was younger and smaller without a weight problem, will I weigh more with the jogging and strength training I'm doing as to when I was younger and weighed like 110. I'm only 5 ft tall and weigh 162, BUT I can really tell a difference already at my current weight. Like would I look good and toned at like let's say 130 or 140 since I'm building muscle? Thanks everyone!

MikaelasMommy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: building muscle vs weight

Yes, you will weigh more when you have more muscle, compared to having less muscle (but the same amount of body fat). More muscle is generally healthier. Note that muscle is dense, so it can significantly increase your weight even though it may not look like much.

Body weight is really not the best way of setting fat loss goals as one gets closer to the "healthy weight range". Body fat percentage is better, since those heavy with muscle could have a healthy (low, but not too low) body fat percentage, while those within what is usually called the "healthy weight range" may have a high body fat percentage that indicates increased health risks. However, measuring body fat percentage is at best an approximation; the more accurate methods (involving underwater weighing or dual energy x-ray analysis) are less convenient and more expensive than less accurate methods (skinfold pinches, electrical resistance scales, formulae based on various measurements like waist size).

Perhaps a simple to measure means of setting a fat loss goal would be to try to get your waistline to be less than half your height, and less than 0.8 of your hip (for women; 0.95 for men). Athletes may have smaller waistlines, perhaps down to 0.45 of their height (though it depends on the sport).

Last edited by tjlhb; 08-23-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yes you are very right! When I was a teen, I was a little on the heavier side for my height, so I don't really have a weight to compare myself to before working out a lot. But, I know many women around my height who claim to weigh less, but they don't really work out a lot and thus, don't have a lot of muscle. I'm 5'4 and have a petite build and am a size 2, but I still definitely don't weigh 110 and think I'd be too thin at that weight. I'd rather look fit and build some muscle for a more athletic, yet thin, shape. Definitely don't worry about what the scale says! I don't weigh myself often at all (mostly just at the doctor's office, and also at my gym for a rewards program I'm doing- I get points for being at a healthy weight and can earn free gift cards). I also just go by how my body looks, how I feel, and how my clothes fit. I've also taken my body fat percentage to make sure I'm in a good range, but not all of those are even accurate. I also like to measure my waist every now and then to make sure I'm not gaining weight in my belly area. My stomach is my trickiest spot and I've worked hard to get my waist down and stomach flat, so I definitely monitor that!

Good luck and congrats on your success so far!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
    Aeden
    (male)

Aeden HB User

Building muscles with a weight ....
    To build your body too much with muscles is a wrong perception.First of all u have to be strong from the inside,i am talking about resistance power.Watching wrestlers and celebs in movies people have been fallen in a craze to build supernatural sort of bodies.Honestly speaking its not easy without using strides and energy enhance stuff,that is also not good for human body.So we should keep one thing in our mind that if you are smart enough and have muscular physic with good resistance power then you are absolutely going ok.

Closed Thread