It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

New to p90x

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
rly723
(male)

rly723 HB User
New to p90x

I'd be interested in some opinions,advice,etc. So some background, i used to be in good shape, went to the gym daily, etc. The past 3+ yrs lack of motivation,school, finances, anxiety , etc got in the way. Got stuck in a rut and my fitness and diet went into the crapper lol. I probably need to lose 30 lbs to get back in good shape and definitely tone up. So after seeing the results of p90x from a few friends and my own research I was inspired to try something new. Especially without a gym membership anymore, this seemed like a decent alternative and for around $80 for the new set might as well try it.

So some concerns, I have a pre existing condition in my right arm so its difficult to do some of the exercises like pullups and variations of pushups.i know resistance bands are an alternative, but what else? I cant do a bulk up plan since its difficult to build up muscle in my right arm,so everything would look unsymmetrical,which wouldnt be ideal. So i chose p90x to tone up and and get the lean muscle look.

Anyways, did anyone on p90x just do that exclusively or additional other workouts w/ gym, running, etc. I guess i'm just skeptical of the dvd homeworkout factor. I have several pieces ofequipment and built up a decent setup w/ a manual treadmill, total gym (rarely used but could help in the muscle stretching, toning, pilates type aspect of working out).Would using the total gym be an alternative to exercises i wont be able to do as well w/ pullups, pushup variations, etc? I also have a set of freeweight dumbells too. Obviously diet will be my breakthrough or downfall,and I'll try my best to follow that. Coming from a strong cultural family,the ethnic foods come without dietary/health concerns and rice is a staple food, so i'll have to improve there. Sorry for the long explanation, but i' ready to put in the work and make a change. Thanks for the help.

So w/ winter break coming up I'll have the time to commit to a plan, here's my initial idea. Was p90x by itself enough or did people supplement it with other workouts?

Also supplements- i plan to just stick to basic ones like multivitamins, calcium, flaxseed, omega 3, and protein shakes. Creatine worth it or not?

morning walking/running 20-30 mins on treadmill and/or 4+miles around nearby lake in evening/afternoon
P90x daily routine
additional use of total gym workout

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
almonkey
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: New to p90x

Everyone I talked to says you arent suppose to supplement just follow the p90x workout guide. With the variation of exercises and yoga, the results seem to really be amazaing for everyone I met that tried it. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Etherial2
(female)

Etherial2 HB User
Cool Re: New to p90x

YOU CHOSE A REALLY HARD PROGRAM. I did Power 90 a few years ago, and thought THAT was hard. I think you should find alternatives before embarking on such an advanced program. Good luck to you!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 12-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
WATCHOUT!
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
Re: New to p90x

My DH lost major amounts of weight on the P90 exercise routines with that program and diet alone....he went from a 46 size pants to a 36 and from 247 pounds down to 185 pounds..then after getting of the program due to a hernia he went back up to around 220 pounds. Just last summer, he had a program at work, or should I say contest based on the biggest loser show...there were about 35 teams or so consisting of 2-5 people...so my DH joined and went back to the P90...and again just with that program....he is back down to around 185 pounds...AND he won the contest AND was the number 1 person to lose weight out of ALL the people at his office combined. So I can say P90 works as long as you have a decent diet as well....Good Luck to all of you!

Closed Thread