It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Need to gain weight

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
rajtp
(male)

rajtp HB User
Need to gain weight

guys

i've tried different things to gain weight - currently about 6.2 and 150lb. The gym did help but i seem to be injury prone and do some weight training for 2-3 months and then stay out few weeks because of an injury

I like swimming and seem to gain a big appetite after a swim. Do you think I could swim to gain additional weight?

Any other options that would work are appreciated too. However, I need to make sure I don't just add on the pounds to my belly

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Cowpin8
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User
Re: Need to gain weight

Buy Protein and weight gainer powder and blend them with a banana and milk. Some of these shakes are 1,000 calories. When I was 20 years old and started lifting weights I also had a difficult time gaining weight. Someone gave me some funny but good advice. Here it is... Do you know how stuffed and full you feel after you have a nice large meal? Well...afterwards HAVE ANOTHER PLATE!!!!! Trust me it works. You must eat like an animal. Figure out how you keep injuring yourself in the gym because there is NO better way to gain weight and size than lifting weights! Correct whatever it is that keeps injuring you. Lift weights correctly and eat like an animal and you WILL gain lots of weight and size. Swimming is NOT the way to go to gain size and weight. Also Creatine is a good help. DONT give up on lifting weights. That is the true way to get big.
Good Luck.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
rajtp
(male)

rajtp HB User
Weight gain question

I'm trying to judge what options I have for weight gain. I'm underweight and pretty tall. Is weight training the only option or are there others? How about swimming or running? I ask about those options as in the past, weight training has helped me gain weight but I tend to be injury prone. I know I should probably hire a trainer to work out with and that's an option but I want to explore other options as well

Thank you

Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Jolietkev
(male)

Jolietkev HB User

I would start by purchasing a good creatine product and getting 1.5 grams of protein per bodyweight. Sizeon is a very good creatine that I use during workouts. Eat and lift heavy, repeat. Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Cut down on your cardio also. I am 5'4 and weigh 170 with very little BF.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

To gain weight, you must eat more. Choose high calorie healthy foods (not junk food) like fatty fish (be careful of mercury contamination, though), nuts, avocados, etc..

Assuming that you want to gain muscle (not fat), weight lifting tends to be most effective. Be sure to do things that use your big muscles (e.g. rows, bench press, squats, deadlifts). If you do not have access to a gym with the equipment for that, you can get a considerable amount of muscle training with body weight exercises like variants of pullups, pushups, dips, etc. with little or no equipment.

For cardio, swimming and rowing are full body workouts, unlike most common cardio exercises. However, running can do useful work -- e.g. you can run to the gym and arrive already warmed up.

With heavy training to gain muscle, you need to pay more attention to the protein content of your diet, as your protein needs will be higher than that of the general population.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Weight gain question

rajtp,

Your BMI is 19.3 so technically you're not underweight. Just six more pounds of muscle would bring you up to a BMI of 20. Why don't you make that your goal to start with and see how it goes? If you can't do that, then there's no point in having a goal that's much bigger. You'll only get discouraged. How much muscle do you figure you need for fitness? Or, is this about more than fitness?

If you don't want to add fat to your belly, I would advise that you don't get too carried away with stuffing yourself. A little extra protein and a little extra healthy carbs will do it. And guess what? If you need more food than that, your body will call for it as you'll get hungry sooner than usual. On the other hand, if you eat so much that you don't get hungry in about 4 or 5 hours, then you ate too much.

If you want to be fit you should get a complete checkup first (including blood work). And once a year you would get another checkup. Then you can see if your results are improving or getting worse. When you get to the point where everything on your test is perfect, there's no need to go any further. Then you just keep doing what you're doing for the rest of your life.

If it takes you two or three hours per day to get where you want to be, then you will have to do that for the rest of your life.

You have a body type and hormones that are unique to you. That means there may be limitations for you as an individual. In my opinion, you should try to do as well as you can and be satisfied with health and fitness.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-07-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: word change

Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
alakazou
(female)

alakazou HB User

I'm not a fan of protein/whey powders. I would encourage you to increase your intake of whole-wheat pasta/bread, brown rice. Someone in an earlier post mentioned healthy fats such as salmon and avocados, those are excellent choices too. Don't forget legumes likes red kidney beans, lentils etc. Eating healthy fat and carbs will definitely help you gain weight.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
pacerpilot
(male)

pacerpilot HB Userpacerpilot HB User

Pasta man!!!
Just eat more. As for your weight, your fine, just stay in shape.

Closed Thread