It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Training for pole dancing?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
YogiJaz
(female)

YogiJaz HB User
Training for pole dancing?

I have been exercising consistantly for about 2 mths. I exercise for 40-60minutes 5-6 days a week which includes 20min of running, 40min of yoga or 20min of resistance training.

So far I am losing quite alot of inches, so I guess I am making progress (though I wish it was faster).

My goal is to get myself in enough shape to do pole dancing (the fitness classes NOT strip clubs!!). I have seen the bodies of those women who do it and I was in awe of their tone and flexibility. Unfortunately, you need to wear tiny shorts and I'm not exactly leg proud right now.

Any advice on how I could prepare myself for this type of exercise?
I dont have access to a gym, just dumbells and a treadmill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
lhughes
Inactive
(female)

lhughes HB User
Re: Training for pole dancing?

Hi YogiJaz

I do pole dancing as a fitness class and honestly I wouldn't worry about how you look in your shorts. If your classes are anything like mine you will be in a small class of girls and everyone has body hang-ups, so they probably feel as self conscious as you, I know I did when I started!

You can buy "grip leggings" for pole dancing on places like ebay which apparently act like skin and grip the pole (you need bare legs so you have some friction against the pole). I've never tried them though so not sure how good they are. Failing that (this is what i do) buy some long legged cycling shorts (above the knee). you only actually need bare legs when doing seats and inverts (upside down) and you won't do these for yopur first few weeks at least. If you buy cycle shorts when it comes to doing seats you can just roll up the legs, and roll them back down when you finish doing that move, sorted!

Its fantastic exercise so good luck, I hope it all goes really well! I've been doing it for about 14 weeks and I have noticed a MASSIVE difference. my core and upper body strenght has improved so much, in my first week I didn't have the strenght to climb the pole at all, now I can climb right to the top (about 12ft) AND go upside down, which is so much fun!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Training for pole dancing?

This sounds like so much fun! I really want to try the pole classes too. I agree that these classes are usually a mixture of women of all shapes and sizes, and nobody is there to judge! If I have to wear any clingy clothing for exercise, I usually try on lots of pairs, because some tend to fit way better than others. I like shorts with lots of stretch, so they don't create any bulges.

I've heard that pole dancing definitely helps a LOT with upper body strength, which is what I am lacking on. I've been improving a lot with different exercises at the gym that used to be too difficult for me. When at home, I just use 10 pound weights to do various arm, chest, and upper back exercises. I also like to do push ups for my upper body. These help, but most likely, pole will make the biggest difference! The main thing is to just have fun and enjoy the class

Closed Thread