It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Want to do more...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
tmhodgson
(male)

tmhodgson HB User
Want to do more...

I'm a 57 year old reform(ing) couch potato. I was about 20 pounds overweight and when I moved into a new luxury high rise I was face-to-face with a good gym downstairs. For five months I've been doing 2 miles of hilly power walking and twenty minutes of machine work in the gym. I've lost ten pounds. Finally, I am getting a few new compliments (I don't count the wife and kids 'cause they know the effort) and, honestly, am a bit proud of myself.

My question is about protein shakes or supplements that might put a bit of chisel to the torso. One child swears that protein shakes will prolong the effect of a good workout but everything I read says they add weight. I sure don't want that. Should I try something? If so, what?

Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Jolietkev
(male)

Jolietkev HB User
Re: Want to do more...

HI there. Glad you are getting back into it. I would suggest that you do your weights first. Then cardio afterwards. When do you work out? Time of day? Purchase some fish oil pills, multi and some whey protein powder. Look at the Optimum nutrition brand.

Protein powder will not put weight on you. The rest of your diet will do that. Take the Whey powder approx 30 minutes after your workout and save the cardio for your off days. Or, you can do about twenty minutes of cardio after your workout. You do not want the cardio to get in the way of muscle building. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-07-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 01-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Want to do more...

Don't be afraid of gaining muscle weight. It is excess body fat weight that tends to be a problem; greater muscle weight is healthy. (If you are trying to build muscle but want to avoid gaining body fat, keep an eye on your waistline at navel level.)

To chisel the chest, you may need one or both of the following (depending on how you are now):

a. Build up the chest muscles, which typically means exercises like pushups, dips, bench press, etc.. You may want to work on your back as well for balance, with exercises like pullups and rows. Yes, if you engage in heavy strength training, you may have to pay more attention to the protein density of your diet, but you may not need protein supplements if you are careful.

b. Lose body fat that may be covering the chest muscles. Since spot reduction is not effective in any practical sense, if this applies to you, you need to lose body fat in general until enough of it is lost where you want it to be lost (mainly determined by genetics, gender, and age).

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-08-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Closed Thread