It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Exercise for the over 65+ group

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
danajoi
(female)

danajoi HB User
Smile Exercise for the over 65+ group

Hi, my doctor wants me to walk or use the treadmill but no incline. Since this is all new to me I need to know how to get started in terms of warm-ups and cooling down. I have osteoporosis but do not have pain. I do not have a treadmill and need to know if there are any inexpensive ones, non-electric. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you ahead of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Exercise for the over 65+ group

I really don't recommend the non-electric ones. They are difficult to get used to esp if you've never used on before. Can you just go walk at the mall? That's what a lot of seniors do. Or does your community have a senior center or local gym? Mine does and it's only $30 A YEAR for over 55! Or your church? Lots have gyms where seniors walk daily.

And if you are just walking, there is no need to "warm up" or "cool down" as the natural walking will do that. I jog and al lI do is stretch for about 3-4 minutes before - and I'll be 64 the end of this month.

Last edited by Titchou; 01-07-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

danajoi,

Where I live in Florida they have a "Bone Builder's Club" where lots of seniors get together once a week to do very gentle exercises. That's the important thing: Easy does it. I'm sure your doctor mentioned that.

I agree with titchou that walking is very good. Do you have a place where you can walk? If you can't get to the Mall or anywhere else, even walking around the block a few times should be helpful. I believe the warmup would consist of slow walking for a few minutes. Then a little faster, according to what your doctor allows.

Did your doctor say you can do any weight bearing exercises? That's what they do in the Bone Builder's Club. They use very light hand weights like one pound. It's done slowly and gently. You can find these routines online too.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Walking does not need a treadmill -- just walk outside in the neighborhood, or walk to places like work, grocery store, etc.. As your fitness improves, you can increase your walking speed. Eventually, you may want to start running, but in the context of your osteoporosis, ask your doctor about whether the impacts of running may be too risky in terms of causing bone fractures before starting running.

Generally, weight bearing or impact exercise tends to stimulate bone growth, but if you already have osteoporosis, you have to be careful to avoid breaking your already weak bones (walking is weight bearing since you are holding up your own body weight). Talk to your doctor about trying to make a goal of building up both your bone and muscle to increase your capability for exercise and prevent falling into irreversible disability.

If you start weight training, you will likely be advised to start with very small weights. Cans of food and jugs partially or fully filled with water (or sand) can be used at the start. But note also that some "weight training" exercises can be done with just your body weight -- you probably know what pushups, pullups, and dips are, for example (but get your doctor's advice about when you are ready to do such exercises).

Last edited by tjlhb; 01-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
danajoi
(female)

danajoi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I really don't recommend the non-electric ones. They are difficult to get used to esp if you've never used on before. Can you just go walk at the mall? That's what a lot of seniors do. Or does your community have a senior center or local gym? Mine does and it's only $30 A YEAR for over 55! Or your church? Lots have gyms where seniors walk daily.

And if you are just walking, there is no need to "warm up" or "cool down" as the natural walking will do that. I jog and al lI do is stretch for about 3-4 minutes before - and I'll be 64 the end of this month.
Thank you Titchou for your quick response. Since the consensus from you as well as JohnR41 and tylhb are just about the same, walking it will be. The osteoporosis is due to lactose intolerance since adulthood. I take a pill once a month to strengthen my bones. Please read my other replies. Enjoy life with peace and love.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
danajoi
(female)

danajoi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
danajoi,

Where I live in Florida they have a "Bone Builder's Club" where lots of seniors get together once a week to do very gentle exercises. That's the important thing: Easy does it. I'm sure your doctor mentioned that.

I agree with titchou that walking is very good. Do you have a place where you can walk? If you can't get to the Mall or anywhere else, even walking around the block a few times should be helpful. I believe the warmup would consist of slow walking for a few minutes. Then a little faster, according to what your doctor allows.

Did your doctor say you can do any weight bearing exercises? That's what they do in the Bone Builder's Club. They use very light hand weights like one pound. It's done slowly and gently. You can find these routines online too.
Thank you JohnR41 for your excellent advice. I will start walking since I live right across the street from a beautiful park. I intend to carry a stick with me since some of my neighbors walk their dogs off-leash. I love animals having had a 110# German Shepherd but he was never ever off-leash outdoors. I can walk very early in the morning until a return to school then I'll walk when I come home. I am a retired secretary studying for my B.A. Hopefully walking will give me a little more energy. Please read my replies to Titchou and tjlhb.
Have a good life John.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danajoi View Post
The osteoporosis is due to lactose intolerance since adulthood.
Note that dairy products are not the only source of calcium. Some green vegetables, like kale, Chinese broccoli, and dandelion greens are good sources of calcium. Tofu made with calcium sulfate is also a source of calcium. Fish with edible bones (e.g. canned sardines) also provides calcium. Lactose intolerant people can often consume dairy products with lactase enzyme pills, or may be able to consume fermented dairy products like yogurt or cheese.

Vitamin D is necessary to properly use calcium in your body. Walking outside in the sun can help your skin generate vitamin D, although vitamin D generation tends to decline as one gets older. Be sure not to get sunburned, though. Food sources of vitamin D are limited; primarily they are some types of fish, egg yolks, and fortified foods.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
danajoi
(female)

danajoi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Note that dairy products are not the only source of calcium. Some green vegetables, like kale, Chinese broccoli, and dandelion greens are good sources of calcium. Tofu made with calcium sulfate is also a source of calcium. Fish with edible bones (e.g. canned sardines) also provides calcium. Lactose intolerant people can often consume dairy products with lactase enzyme pills, or may be able to consume fermented dairy products like yogurt or cheese.

Vitamin D is necessary to properly use calcium in your body. Walking outside in the sun can help your skin generate vitamin D, although vitamin D generation tends to decline as one gets older. Be sure not to get sunburned, though. Food sources of vitamin D are limited; primarily they are some types of fish, egg yolks, and fortified foods.
Thank you tjlhb. I sent you a reply yesterday but I don't see it. No problem. Your advice is extremely helpful too. Yes, I do know about the green vegetables specifically the dark green. I love kale, collards and mustard greens. I had salmon cakes last night; I baked them. Products with the enzyme pill does not work for me, I have tried them. My daughter just suggested soymilk since she has the same problem. Of my two daughters and two sons she is the only one with this issue. I will keep in mind what you, Titchou and JohnR41 have suggested and will remember to incorporate them as I work my way to better health. Enjoy this wonderful life.

Closed Thread