It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Zero exercise to running 8 miles in 3 months!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Sparklybeck
(female)

Sparklybeck HB User
Zero exercise to running 8 miles in 3 months!

Hi

My boyfriend and I are running an 8.2 mile charity run on April 12th. I am a regular jogger, so will be fine with this (sort of!), but am worried about my boyfriend.

He is 38 years old and 17 stone; he used to be an avid cyclist and footballer, and used to run quite a lot, but a back injury and ruptured Achilles 5 years ago stopped all his exercise and he discovered the pub instead! He consequently put on weight, and has done zero exercise forthe last 5 years - however, he is determined to run this 8 mile race in 13 weeks time. He also had a spell of pleurisy a couple of years ago, and has sinus problems which often leave him quite chesty and bunged up... He knows he needs to lose some weight before he starts any training, but I am just worried that he is taking on too much and has left it far too late to start training. He hasn't started any training yet becasue of stress at work and he's had a bad cold over Christmas.

Is it safe for him to put his body through such physical strain in such a short period of time? I've tried to hint that he might be pushing his luck,but he seems quite determined and yet isn't doing anything about losing any weight or starting training...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
titan38
(male)

titan38 HB User
Re: Zero exercise to running 8 miles in 3 months!

You are correct, he should back off and re-adjust his stategy.

Closed Thread