It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Is this an OK exercise schedule?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
BNCleaners
(female)

BNCleaners HB User
Is this an OK exercise schedule?

I recently joined a gym (about a month ago) and have been going since. BUt I was wondering if I was doing enough?

Currently I am 201, about 5'5". I was 210 when I started dieting in the end of December 2009, so I have lost about 10lbs.

4-5 days a week (usually 4), I

Run on the eliptical for 35 minutes...do about 3 miles at 10 minutes a mile and then a few minutes for warm up/cool down

Then I do weights (all machines)

rowing machine - 4 sets of 12 reps at 80lbs
bench press machine - 4 sets of 12 reps at 50lbs
Tricep dip machine - 4 sets of 12 reps at 60lbs
Then I do the thigh abductor (and the other one but cant think of the word, lol) 4 sets of 12 reps at about 80lbs.

While I am using the machines I do isometric stomach exercises (Tupler technique)...I end up getting in 4-5 sets of 100 of those while using the weight machines....I have muscle separation due to having children (3 in 3 years) and was advised not to do traditional crunches b/c if they are done improperly they can result in more damage for the muscle separation.

anything else you think I should add? Increase? do different? My muscles are no longer sore after this workout.

I have about 1.5 hours total each day to work out (thats about as long as my kids are happy in the childcare room, lol).

Any advice you can give would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
friendsville
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Is this an OK exercise schedule?

I cannot determine your program,but it looks ok to me.I am too ancient with arthritis etc. to be very active. I went to the "y" long ago. I was 20,and weighed 130 lbs. and was 6 foot,one.I looked like a pencil !! I worked with weights and in a year,went to 175 lbs.I ended the "y" activity a few years later, at 215 pounds.I wish I had stayed in shape. After the "Y" years,I would do a couple of things every Lent.No
eating between meals,and did stomach exercise by "trying" to do toe-touching.I
would lose my expanded middle,by Easter. Keep up the good work. Bill

Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Some things to think about:

For cardio, you may want to consider (cardio) rowing or swimming, as these are full body workouts, rather than just lower body.

For weights in general, when doing 12 to 15 reps is easy, you may want to increase the weight so that you will get stronger.

You may also want to consider free weights, though get instruction if you need help on proper technique.

For your back, in addition to weighted rows, you may want to also try pullups (or assisted pullups or pulldowns if you cannot yet pullup your body weight).

For your legs, you may want to work your big muscles with squats. You can start with just your body weight, and work up to adding weights (or doing one legged squats).

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-19-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
BNCleaners
(female)

BNCleaners HB User

Thanks! I dont want to add any muscle, just tone what I have - so should I increase reps rather than add weights?

Unfortunately, there is no pool at my gym or cardio rowing machine. My options are treadmill, elliptical, bike and stair stepper for cardio.

I will add some squats - those I can do at home (since I have limited amount of time at the gym).

Thanks for all the input!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNCleaners View Post
Thanks! I dont want to add any muscle, just tone what I have - so should I increase reps rather than add weights?
Increasing the weights will make you stronger, while increasing the reps will shift the workout to more of an endurance workout (at very high reps, it becomes more like a cardio workout, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may not be what you intend to gain out of weight training, since most people hit the weights to get stronger).

Unintentionally getting "too big" (like a body builder) should not be a concern for most people, especially women. Body builders generally have to work very hard with exacting training and eating regimens, as well as have favorable genetics (and some of them use anabolic steroids as well). And that is for male body builders -- it is even harder for female body builders. So it is rather unlikely that someone, especially a woman, who is weight training twice a week to gain strength will unintentionally get "too big".

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-22-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
BNCleaners
(female)

BNCleaners HB User

I am training 4-5 days a week. I am not worried about getting "too big" in the sense that you described. I just would not like to add any muscle. I am fairly muscular as it is (its just hidden under a big layer of fat, lol).

thanks for your reply

Old 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNCleaners View Post
I am training 4-5 days a week. I am not worried about getting "too big" in the sense that you described. I just would not like to add any muscle. I am fairly muscular as it is (its just hidden under a big layer of fat, lol).
However, you can still get significantly stronger without getting significantly bigger or (visibly) adding muscle. Since there is not really any disadvantage to being stronger, wouldn't it make sense to keep working up in your training?

One other thing -- if you are training on consecutive days, you may want to split your workouts so that each muscle group gets a rest day between training (you can also add additional exercises for the given muscle groups for each day).

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-22-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Closed Thread