It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Help for a Skinny Fat Guy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
lestat126
(male)

lestat126 HB User
Help for a Skinny Fat Guy

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post, so I apologize if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Basically, I'm a 30 yo guy, 6 feet, 160lbs... active, healthy lifestyle...

I've always been thin and struggled with it for years (maybe that sounds crazy to some people but nobody wants to be the scrawny guy growing up).

I tried numerous times to "bulk up" and got little to no results. I'm at the point where I accept my body type and I'm not trying to gain lots and lots of mass. I basically want to gain just a little muscle and lose some body fat. Even though I am skinny, I do have a layer of fat esp on my chest and stomach. It's not a lot mind you, but I feel frustrated by it because if I am going to be really thin, I'd at least like the benefit of low body fat as well.

Like I said, I have a healthy lifestyle. I exercise (resistance, cardio, yoga) about 5-6 days a week. I'm very aware of what I am eating and have a pretty healthy diet. I eat very little meat (for a variety of reasons), mostly only seafood.

Ok, enough rambling... I just wanted to fill in some blanks before I ask my questions.

I read up a lot on diet and exercise but I feel a little overwhelmed by what somebody in my situation should do. I'm trying to get a little more muscle and maintain what I have, but at the same time I want to keep my body fat down.

I'm not really sure why somebody who is thin and doesn't eat much saturated fat is having trouble losing that chest/stomach fat. I'm thinking that I eat too many carbs, but I've heard so much conflicting info about how much and what types of carbs to eat. I'm thinking a 40% protein, 30% carb and 30% fat diet might be in the right direction.

I don't expect anyone to read through this and tailor make a diet for me or anything, but if anyone can point me in the right direction (maybe someone in a similar situation that has had some better results)... I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Imnotstoopid
(male)

Imnotstoopid HB User
Re: Help for a Skinny Fat Guy

I'm in a similar position with my body and diet. I'm 32, 6ft, 162. I run three miles per day, and I'm trying to avoid any foods over 15-20% fat. Some material even suggest 10%. Doesn't seem to leave too many options. I have stomache fat, a bit of chest fat, and little love handles. Trying to get rid of them all, but I guess it took time to put it on and takes time to take off. I guess each gram of fat equals 9 calories and each pound of fat = 3,500 calories. When doing cardio for 30 or more minutes, I understand we burn off both carbs and fat as fuel. <edited>

I think the most important thing, is cardio everyday, for at least 30 minutes and a diet in the caloric range that allows you to stay the same weight, or close to each day. I'm also trying separating my calories out now, between 4-5 meals per day. So it comes out to like 450-500 calories per small meal.

<edited>

Good luck to you.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-20-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Please do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Closed Thread